Dremels?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

duality
Friend of SPCR

Dremels?

Post by duality » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:02 pm

Went to Target the other day, and found that dremels were not as expensive as I thought: $59.99 for corded one that goes to 35,000rpm, and $39.99 for cordless one that has two speeds and goes to 20,000rpm. How much are they in performance and such? I am thinking of getting into some serious modding (for both my Antec and my eMachines... what fun) and am beginning to think that, yes, dremel would be nice. However, these are $20 differences--and I am not sure which one to get. Is $20 justified to get a corded version with higher rpm, or can I get away with the wireless version? Opinions appreciated! :D

Beel

Post by Beel » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:24 pm

I did a little bit of research and finally took the plunge last week.

Here's some stuff that's obvious after you figure it out, but might be useful.

There seem to be 5 models of the tool, 3 corded, and 2 cordless. The corded models include the 400XPR at 2 amps, the 395 and the digital 398 each at 1.15 amps. All of them are variable speed from 5,000 to 35,000 rpm.

There are kits that include the tool and some accessories. Different vendors all seem to carry different versions of the kits. The numbers run like 400-3/51. The first number is the model of the tool itself (300, 400, etc) The next number is the number of attachments (flex shaft, circle cutter, etc. The last number is the number of accessories (bits, polishers, grinding wheels, etc)

The kit I bought included a quick start booklet that tells how to common household tasks with the tool, and which models of the tool can do each task. The guide said not to use the cordless model for almost any of the tasks. (Including cleaning golf clubs, which I would expect to be a light weight task) With that in mind, I would avoid the cordless model.

Depending on what you are going to do, you might want to get a kit with the circle cutter included. I'm going to try using that to make a fan cut out.

For a source for the tool, also check out your local Walmart. They had the kit for less money than several of the sellers on eBay.

Hope some of this is useful.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:22 am

Unless they've made some major advances in the motors of the cordless Dremels recently, I'd definitely go with the corded versions. The cordless ones have no torque so if you're doing anything that requires a bit of "oomph" (cutting steel cases) they just aren't up to the job.

CoolGav

Post by CoolGav » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:14 am

I've had a cordless Dremel for a few years and luckily don't need to use it much these days. Any serious mod work takes days since the battery runs out quickly when it needs torque. I haven't used a corded one, so I can't compare, but given the choice now I'd buy a corded one. I think from a usability point of view the battery weighing down the cordless one makes it little better than a corded on unless you need to use it where there is no power (eg in a forest, but then you'd be crazy to cut down a tree with one! :? :roll: )

duality
Friend of SPCR

Post by duality » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:48 pm

I looked around online, and now they came up with the Lithium-Ion version, which supposedly is as good as cordless version (alas, you still need to recharge though :lol: ). They are about the same as the corded multispeed versions in terms of price (and they also seem to use the same motor), which just made my life more complicated. One thing is for sure from your opinions: stay away from older non-Li-ion cordless dremels. That narrows my options by quite a bit :lol: I think I'll go to Wal-Mart or something and see what they have, and pick up whichever is the cheapest: Li-ion wireless or multispeed wired. That is, if nobody used the Li-ion dremels yet and cannot give me an opinion.

Anyone used them yet and if you did, would you recommend it to me? :?

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:04 am

I went back and forth for a while between the corded and Li-ion cordless for a while. I finally went with the cordless. I think I paid $80. I first picked one up at Menards. Got it home, plugged the battery into the charger........ nuttin. No light and no charge. So I had to take it back. Menards didn't have any others so I went to the Ace hardware. That one worked fine. If that one wouldn't have worked I would have gone with the corded.

Anyways, I like it. The battery seems to hold a charge for quite a while. Even if I leave it sit for a month, there still seems to be enough charge the next time I fire it up. Although I don't use it as much as others do I'm sure. But I've cut out some restrictive fan grills and made cases that have an 80mm fan fit a 92mm fan. Nothing real big that would cause me to use up the entire battery at one sitting. I have caused the motor to halt a few times though by putting too much pressure on it. It has a built it saftey to shut the motor down before it causes any damage. Just turn it off, and back on and it's ready to go.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:37 am

115 volts vs 12 volts...

not much of a comparison there.

people show me their dewalt portable screw guns with above 14 volt power... put that up to any ultra cheap corded drill with a 115 volt supply, youll laugh at the portable. I can see a dewalt or whatever for carpentry jobs where a cord would be bad, but a dremel is for people chilling out doing crafts, go corded there.

my cheap level crafstmen dremel tears through steel. (and my eyes when the ceramic bits snap)

nici

Post by nici » Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:06 am

The voltage doesnt really matter, after all its just half of the equation :wink: Its easier to make a powerful tool with a higher voltage though, it doesnt need nearly as much current. 100W at 12V will draw 8,3Amps and 100W on 115V will only draw 0.86Amps.. The battery on the cordless needs to be good so it can deliver high currents for long periods. Regular alkaline batteries wouldnt work, but batteries from RC models that have to deliver 80+Amps continuously definately would work. And thats what is used most of the time if its ni-cd or ni-mh, lithium batteries are pretty much only used in light RC planes only and not so much in cars and boats where weight isnt such a big problem.

Oh and i find even the corded Dremel lacking on the torques on low rpm, it needs more torques :lol: I´ve used some cheap copies with lower top speed but better grunt.

The master off excessively long posts has struck again! :lol: