A suggestion I heard...

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Thu May 22, 2003 10:06 pm

I have used those for years and I can tell you from my experience that the isolation offered by any type of rubber fan isolators (removing screws altogether) is much better.

I will never again use O-rings if I don't have to. Yes, they do offer isolation, but not as good as screw replacement rubber isolators.

cheers,
Halcyon

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Sat Oct 11, 2003 7:31 pm

halcyon, or anyone, post a link of what your favorite rubber fan isolator is. Are they just those blue plastic things that sit in a screw hole and are really cheap?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Oct 12, 2003 4:08 am

Trip wrote:halcyon, or anyone, post a link of what your favorite rubber fan isolator is. Are they just those blue plastic things that sit in a screw hole and are really cheap?
I like the EAR fan isolators. They're the blue rubber barbs that hold the fan suspended just away from the case. There's many threads about them here at SPCR. The cheapest place to get them is from McMaster-Carr. Plug "1212" into the search box on the main page and it will take you to page 1212 of their catalog. Scroll down and you'll see the isolators pictured. The ones we use here are the 5801K6 (for 80mm and 92mm fans) and 5801K8 (for the thick flanged 120mm Panaflo L1As). They come in packs of 20 and end up costing about 50¢ each.

Search the SPCR forums for "5801k6" or "ear isolators" and you'll get lots of hits.

Oh, and BTW, I'm not too thrilled to see this thread resurrected from the dead. There's many other threads that reference these fan isolators, why did it have to be the one about castration bands that was used? :)
Last edited by Ralf Hutter on Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Wed Oct 15, 2003 2:22 am

:lol: I couldn't resist, this is just the craziest thread I've ever seen

I was also curious if anyone would respond recommending the castration bands. Wonder if they really are the best for the job... :?

SPCR needs to do a review! Prob. be the least expensive review ever conducted.

Doubt there'd be much difference at all among them...

EDIT: if anyone is reading this, EAR work well.