Suggestion for a Micro-ATX case...

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

cdplayer

Suggestion for a Micro-ATX case...

Post by cdplayer » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:54 pm

I am looking for a micro-ATX case. Does anyone have any suggestions? The computer system will be used in an auditorium so the box has to be quiet.

Thanks! :D

Aris

Post by Aris » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:09 pm

imo, this is currently the best micro atx case. unless you want a desktop/HTPC or cube style case.

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=93300#

even comes with a seasonic 80+ 300w psu. which is more than enough power for anything you could fit on a microatx board.

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:20 pm

The choice of case is not nearly as important as the choice of what goes inside it.

A computer being used in an auditorium can actually be a lot louder than SPCR standards for a desktop system, for several reasons. First, the human ears involved are probably much, much, much further away. Second, any activity in an auditorium probably has a rather significant noise level to drown out any computer noise. Third, if the computer is being used, then presumably a powerful projector is being used for the display. Auditorium-class brightness projectors all have loud fans which will drown out computer noise.

Now, things are different if you've got some specific special purposes in mind. But for typical purposes, you can do well with ANY computer case, so long as a quiet PSU and CPU heatsink are used, the case fan is undervolted, and the hard drive is chosen wisely and softmounted.

Honestly, I think your highest priority for the computer case itself should be looks. An auditorium and everything in it should look nice. Use careful consideration with the components and the noise will be no problem.

cdplayer

Post by cdplayer » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:15 pm

Aris wrote:imo, this is currently the best micro atx case. unless you want a desktop/HTPC or cube style case.

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=93300#

even comes with a seasonic 80+ 300w psu. which is more than enough power for anything you could fit on a microatx board.
Thank you for replying Aris!

Unfortunately, the motherboard I want will not fit in that box. I must admit that the box is quite nice looking! I even like the fact that it comes with a Seasonic PSU! My guess is that this baby is quiet...

Cheers!

autoboy

Post by autoboy » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:26 pm

It is mATX right? What motherboard are you using?

cdplayer

Post by cdplayer » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:38 pm

IsaacKuo wrote:The choice of case is not nearly as important as the choice of what goes inside it.

A computer being used in an auditorium can actually be a lot louder than SPCR standards for a desktop system, for several reasons. First, the human ears involved are probably much, much, much further away. Second, any activity in an auditorium probably has a rather significant noise level to drown out any computer noise. Third, if the computer is being used, then presumably a powerful projector is being used for the display. Auditorium-class brightness projectors all have loud fans which will drown out computer noise.

Now, things are different if you've got some specific special purposes in mind. But for typical purposes, you can do well with ANY computer case, so long as a quiet PSU and CPU heatsink are used, the case fan is undervolted, and the hard drive is chosen wisely and softmounted.

Honestly, I think your highest priority for the computer case itself should be looks. An auditorium and everything in it should look nice. Use careful consideration with the components and the noise will be no problem.
Thanks IsaacKuo! 8)

cdplayer

Post by cdplayer » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:40 pm

autoboy wrote:It is mATX right? What motherboard are you using?
The motherboard I want to use won't fit in that box... :(

sleepygenius

Post by sleepygenius » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:14 pm

You asked for a Micro-ATX case and a m-ATX case is what was recommended to you. It would help immensely if you would list what motherboard you were planning to put into a m-ATX case.

cdplayer

Post by cdplayer » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:44 pm

sleepygenius wrote:You asked for a Micro-ATX case and a m-ATX case is what was recommended to you. It would help immensely if you would list what motherboard you were planning to put into a m-ATX case.
Sorry about that sleepygenius,
I want to use a A8N-E Asus motherboard. I know that some Micro-ATX cases can house a standard size mobo. Since the one mention above won't, I have discovered that the Overture II may be a good choice. Now I am not to sure since some have complained about its PSU.

cdplayer

Post by cdplayer » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:48 pm

cdplayer wrote:
IsaacKuo wrote:The choice of case is not nearly as important as the choice of what goes inside it.

Thanks IsaacKuo! 8)
Thanks for the info Isaac!

cdplayer

Post by cdplayer » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:49 pm

cdplayer wrote:
autoboy wrote:It is mATX right? What motherboard are you using?
The motherboard I want to use won't fit in that box... :(
Hello Autoboy,

A A8N-E Asus motherboard.

qviri

Post by qviri » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:22 pm

cdplayer wrote:
sleepygenius wrote:You asked for a Micro-ATX case and a m-ATX case is what was recommended to you. It would help immensely if you would list what motherboard you were planning to put into a m-ATX case.
Sorry about that sleepygenius,
I want to use a A8N-E Asus motherboard. I know that some Micro-ATX cases can house a standard size mobo.
These aren't microATX cases then, these are just small standard cases.

Aris

Post by Aris » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:25 pm

uhh, why are you quoting yourself in reply's to.. yourself?

anyhow, you asked for a micro atx case. no micro atx cases will allow you to use a standard atx motherboard.

a full atx case can hold either an atx or a micro atx motherboard, but not visa versa.

so your original question should be:

"I am looking for a small ATX case. Does anyone have any suggestions? The computer system will be used in an auditorium so the box has to be quiet."

to which i would have probably reply'd:

"you should check out the antec P150"

mb2

Post by mb2 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:32 pm

IMO, the enermax venus. that is if u actually have a mATX mobo..

qviri

Post by qviri » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:45 pm

Aris wrote:"you should check out the antec P150"
Or the NSK 4400.