One thing that I've noticed with my new Sonata

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Hellspawn

One thing that I've noticed with my new Sonata

Post by Hellspawn » Wed Feb 19, 2003 7:20 am

I've noticed that while CPU and ambient internal *MB* temps haven't risen, my HD temps , measured with either MBM or Dtemp, have risen about 12 degrees. The HD is pretty solid on 107f, where it was running at about 95f in another Antec case. Since the CPU and ambient inside are about the same I'm thinking that since the HD has been decoupled from the metal frame , that I'm losing some heatsink capability of the steel?

It seems to make sense to me, since the other temps are about the same... HD is much quieter during seeks, that's for sure..

Francis

Re: One thing that I've noticed with my new Sonata

Post by Francis » Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:49 am

Hellspawn wrote:I've noticed that while CPU and ambient internal *MB* temps haven't risen, my HD temps , measured with either MBM or Dtemp, have risen about 12 degrees
I'm curious to know if you're using the optional HDD bay 120mm fan. I'm interested in the Sonata but am concerned about HD temps. If you are using it, does it add significant noise? I find it odd that it's positioned where it is, and wonder if it just ends up blowing hot air over the processor, or if it otherwise interferes with processor cooling. Are you using Antec's power supply or some other?

Hellspawn

Post by Hellspawn » Wed Feb 19, 2003 10:35 am

I'm not using the optional 120mm fan mount, but given the following temps I've just taken, I don't see that I have a choice.. Mid day the HD is up to 112f, the radeon pro 9700 is up to 125f. CPU is still reporting about 111f and the MB temp is coming back at 91f.

This with the 120mm fan plugged into the FAN ONLY lead.

I can see if I put a second 120mm fan on the optional mount, I WILL pull cooler outside air over the hard drive (good thing), and there will be some air movement over the ZM80A on the 9700 pro. I HATE to have to add a second 120mm fan of any kind, but if I do it will be with a fanmate or something.

I love the design of the case and all, but with the stock fan setup I'm very disappointed in the heat that I'm seeing. P/S fan is running at 1630, the CPU fan on the zalman 5700cu+ at 2000 and I'm not sure what the 120mm fan is running at..

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Feb 19, 2003 11:52 am

Try pulling off the bezel and you'll see that it is a rather convoluted path for the air to get into the case. There are 2 things you can do to reduce the intake impedance --

1) cut away the extra plastic on the INside portion of the lower bezel
2) cut away a bit of the inside edges of the intake holes on the outside portion of the lower bezel -- there are the 2 side slots and the bottom opening. The bottom opening is very easily enlarged; the side vents are a bit tricker. Any number of cutting tools can be used.

This makes a difference in the airflow and in the drive temps. And yes, the rubber grommets on drives always affects their temps. Though you're ok to 50C, but that is a bit on the hot side (mine usually run 40-46C)

Another thing you can try is just move the 120mm back panel fan to the HD fan position blowing in the same direction -- with grommets if possible. The air will find its way out the back hole, and you will definitely get more airflow across the HDs. It make even make the whole thing a bit quieter with the fan buried deeper in the case.

Hellspawn

Post by Hellspawn » Wed Feb 19, 2003 1:50 pm

I think I'll first try moving the 120mm first to the 2nd mounting area, that way I would get the air across the HD and it is directly in-line with the zm80a as well. I think this might kill two birds with one stone so to speak. If I do pick up another 120mm, I will try to run the fanmate on it at it's lowest setting; the antec 120mm it comes with, I can't really hear it, the loudest is the zalman 5700 80mm on about 7volts.

I've run 3dmark03 for an hour and got the CPU up to 125f, I did notice that the HD dropped to about 100f during that time, I'm thinking that the P/S upped the 120mm speed a bit perhaps..

I don't keep any of my hardware more than 6 months tops so as far as running them a little warmer it's not really a concern, but it's nice nonetheless..

thank you for the tips.

rbmcgee

Post by rbmcgee » Thu Feb 20, 2003 11:05 am

Boy, I thought I had it figured out - An Aopen w/ Silentek mobo and the Sonata case. Now, problems cropping up on both fronts. Aopen stability and now having to cut into a case supposedly designed for cool, quiet, stable operation. Back to the drawing board.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Thu Feb 20, 2003 4:11 pm

Or you can get a LanBoy for just about $30 more than a 2600. It's a 2600 made of aluminum, with a better p/s, a nice window and a carry strap.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Feb 21, 2003 6:01 am

After seeing various peoples' experience with the Sonata over the last few days I'll vote for the SLK3700 as being the best platform for building a quiet computer. Best bet is to get one of the OEM versions of the SLK3700. They're called the "D8000" and are available from Jim at Coolcases.com. They're beige and come with no PSU for $49. I think he charges $10 to cut out the 120mm fan grills. So for $59 + shipping you've got the beginnings of a great system.

Hellspawn

Post by Hellspawn » Fri Feb 21, 2003 6:18 am

Yea, I'll be honest about this case, it's nice looking, but with the standard 120mm fan, and the P/S fan, I'm seeing temps across the board have gone up 10-15f. I've got a 2.0a Northwood pushing 55c with a Zalman 5700cu, a hard drive pushing 115f, mobo temps of over 100f and a graphics card witha zm80a that I can't even touch...

Thumbs down.

It's either going back or going to eBay. I'll go back to my 660Plus AMG...

bah.

Hellspawn

Post by Hellspawn » Fri Feb 21, 2003 6:19 am

I might check into the Evercase that ARM uses, but for now the 660plus antec will do just fine..

NeilBlanchard

questions and comments

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Feb 24, 2003 8:33 pm

Hello:

Ralf, thanks for the link to Jim's Cool Cases! Nice. I'm salivating over a black D8000 with both fan grills punched out... Do the (white) grommets in the HD mounting holes that I see in the pictures over at New Egg work well?

And New Egg sells that Evercase in black sans PS for $36 including shipping! But at that price, they are out of stock at the moment... I know someone who has used several Evercases (w/ the supplied PS) and he likes them; they are very servicable. Though, IMO they are quite yoogly; fugly in fact! Though part of what bothers me visually may be a great functional feature: the air intake slots on the sides.

On the hotter than normal HD's in the Sonata, could this be improved by *blocking* the "ANTEC" holes in the sides? This might improve the air flow through the drive frame, since there is some drag through the front intake? It's too bad, really because it would seem to be a real nice case, otherwise... Ironic if it's unique inovation turns out to be less than ideal. Elevated HD temps can take their toll in terms of reliabilty and longevity of the HD's. This is where the SLK3700/D8000 would seem to have an advantage over the Sonata, huh?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Re: questions and comments

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Feb 25, 2003 6:00 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:Hello:

Ralf, thanks for the link to Jim's Cool Cases! Nice. I'm salivating over a black D8000 with both fan grills punched out... Do the (white) grommets in the HD mounting holes that I see in the pictures over at New Egg work well?
They work great. Drives are noticeably quieter when monuted in this case.
NeilBlanchard wrote:And New Egg sells that Evercase in black sans PS for $36 including shipping! But at that price, they are out of stock at the moment... I know someone who has used several Evercases (w/ the supplied PS) and he likes them; they are very servicable. Though, IMO they are quite yoogly; fugly in fact! Though part of what bothers me visually may be a great functional feature: the air intake slots on the sides.
Those Evercases are a great deal for the money but they look kind of ugly to me too. Lots of features/value for the money though.
NeilBlanchard wrote:On the hotter than normal HD's in the Sonata, could this be improved by *blocking* the "ANTEC" holes in the sides? This might improve the air flow through the drive frame, since there is some drag through the front intake? It's too bad, really because it would seem to be a real nice case, otherwise... Ironic if it's unique inovation turns out to be less than ideal. Elevated HD temps can take their toll in terms of reliabilty and longevity of the HD's. This is where the SLK3700/D8000 would seem to have an advantage over the Sonata, huh?
My gut feeling about the Sonata all along, since I own a SLK3700 and am familiar with it's airflow/cooling capabilities, is that the Sonata has inferior airflow to the SLK3700, mostly because of the front bezel setup, although those holes on the sides worry me as well. I just don't think they're good for airflow management.

I started with only the 5-volted 120mm L1A on the back and no fan on the front of my SLK3700 and had excellent case temps. My cuda IV was running a little hot though so I added a 5-volted 92mm L1A to the front of the case. This dropped my drive temp by about 6-7°C. Case temp stayed the same.

AntecRep
-- Vendor --

Post by AntecRep » Thu Feb 27, 2003 2:29 pm

Out of curiosity have you tried putting the 120mm fan on a standard power connector (so TruePower isn't controlling the fan. I know kind of defeats the purpose)? See if the noise level is acceptable to you and if it helps with the HD temps. Just an idea.

AntecRep

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:49 am

AntecRep wrote:Out of curiosity have you tried putting the 120mm fan on a standard power connector (so TruePower isn't controlling the fan. I know kind of defeats the purpose)? See if the noise level is acceptable to you and if it helps with the HD temps. Just an idea.

AntecRep
If you're refering to my post above, I can already hear the 5-volted 120mm L1A, raising up the voltage would only make it worse. I originally had it at 7 volts and dropped it to 5V. Case and CPU temps stayed the same so I left it at 5V. My current setup works great. The 5-volted 92mm L1A provides enough ariflow to keep my HDD within 1-2°C of the case temps, and it's inaudible to me. Case temps with my fan setup are very cool. The ventalation on this SLK3700 is the best I've ever seen, far better than any other case I've ever used, including the SX10x0 cases. You guys hit a home run with this one.