Questions to people with Lian-Li or Kingwin cases.

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

jinu117

Questions to people with Lian-Li or Kingwin cases.

Post by jinu117 » Tue Feb 18, 2003 10:29 am

I noticed those HDD drive bays are vertical mounts and seems to be size of 5.25" HDD width wise. I was wondering... is it possible to put No Vibe III in those? I can swap my case at no cost right now and was wondering if there would be better method in cooling my hdd than taking up one 5.25" bay with 80mm fan mounted in it (my ghetto mod again... :P)

tm
Friend of SPCR

Post by tm » Tue Feb 18, 2003 5:57 pm

I'll take a look at my Lian-Li case, but I believe it won't quite work, since one side has these large holes cut into the drive bay.

jinu117

Post by jinu117 » Tue Feb 18, 2003 11:04 pm

tm wrote:I'll take a look at my Lian-Li case, but I believe it won't quite work, since one side has these large holes cut into the drive bay.
I am not to worried about holes for mounting as I will probably doubleside tape it as long as there is enough room. Thanks in advance :)

sclawson

Post by sclawson » Thu Feb 20, 2003 6:54 am

I did an "ultra ghetto" mod in my Lian Li case by stretching a bungee cord twice around the HDD bay assembly horizontally. The metal hooks at the ends of the cord are fastened through some of the holes already present on the sides of the assembly. After this I *carefully* squeezed a Barracuda ATA IV hard drive between the wrappings of bungee cord and ended up with a super secure, decoupled horizontal HDD mount! The sides of the HDD bay assembly are slightly bowed inward under the pressure, but after a year of use things are still going strong. No troubles whatsoever, and a virtually silent HDD with plenty of airflow to cool it. Ultra ghetto rocks! :D

jinu117

Post by jinu117 » Thu Feb 20, 2003 11:28 am

sclawson wrote:I did an "ultra ghetto" mod in my Lian Li case by stretching a bungee cord twice around the HDD bay assembly horizontally. The metal hooks at the ends of the cord are fastened through some of the holes already present on the sides of the assembly. After this I *carefully* squeezed a Barracuda ATA IV hard drive between the wrappings of bungee cord and ended up with a super secure, decoupled horizontal HDD mount! The sides of the HDD bay assembly are slightly bowed inward under the pressure, but after a year of use things are still going strong. No troubles whatsoever, and a virtually silent HDD with plenty of airflow to cool it. Ultra ghetto rocks! :D
Now, why the hell didn't I think of that! Thanks whole lot. (It probably looks less ghetto than my new HDD cooling method...) Which is...
3.5" HDD for 5.25" mount kit I had on spare... those plastiky rubbery chopped pieces of foam mounted to each side of kit using double sided tape, than fan in between those foam with double sided tape. If you asked me, fantastic decoupling... good blow of air... but looks....
WELL... ghetto (I know it is in hard place to look at least) Not to mention I don't know how effective it will be if there are 2 drives suspended in bay.
(Very effective in single one at least as it is giving 70-80% of its air output right under from HDD)

Herb W.

Post by Herb W. » Sat Feb 22, 2003 8:58 am

sclawson wrote:I did an "ultra ghetto" mod in my Lian Li case by stretching a bungee cord twice around the HDD bay assembly horizontally.
From what I have read elsewhere, assuming this mount electrically isolates the HDD bay assembly from the rest of the case you have had a very lucky year, as your drive case is no longer grounded, which is against manufacturer spec for nearly all drives (I think someone commented here about a certain IBM model that was not to be grounded). Best to run a wire from the assembly to the case....
Last edited by Herb W. on Sat Feb 22, 2003 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

sclawson

Post by sclawson » Sat Feb 22, 2003 10:04 am

Although I didn't mention it in my prior post, in my case I did indeed run a grounding wire from a screw mount on the hard drive to one of the thumbscrews that attaches the hard drive frame to my case. This does seem to be a prudent thing to do.