Global WIN YCC-61F1-B impressions

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

CRT_Leech

Global WIN YCC-61F1-B impressions

Post by CRT_Leech » Thu Mar 20, 2003 8:04 am

Well, I've had my system up for about a week and so far, I've been quite happy with it. It's about as quiet as I was hoping for, fast and looks good.

The front bezel is slightly rounded out, where the center of the drive bay panels are bout 1/2" further out than the sides. I used this to my advantage with the Audigy 2 Platinum Live Drive front panel and recessed it a bit, so the buttons don't project past the bezel.

The power LED is really bright. It's about 25-50% as bright as one of those high intensity LED keychain flashlights. It can be seen on a wall over ten feet away and is more than sufficient to manuver around said room in complete darkness and you could probably read by it, though, I would not suggest it. =)

The fit and finish is not as refined as some other manufacturers, like InWin and the likes, so the edges inside the case are not rolled, or as de-burred as I would like.

Here's the specs:
GlobalWIN YCC-61F1-B (for 120mm fans, front and back),
Antec TruePower 550 Watt power supply,
Asus P4G8X Deluxe mainboard,
P4 2.66GHz 533MHz bus processor,
SLK900U with a 92mm Panaflo L1A (Artic Silver 2),
2x Panaflo 120mm L1A's for the case,
Maxtor Diamond Max 9 80GB ATA133 (Fluid Dynamic Bearings),
A Serial ATA to PATA adapter for the above hard drive,
2x512MB sticks of Corsair TWINX CAS 2-2-2-5-T1 rated matched memory,
Audigy 2 Platinum sound card (Black faceplate and buttons),
ATI AIW 9700 Raedeon Pro 128MB video card,
Toshiba 16x DVD-ROM (Black),
Sony 3.5" FDD (Black)

The seek noise from the Maxtor is louder than a Seagate, but, I can live with it. I've had some issues while using a Serial ATA to PATA adapter, so I've gone back to PATA.

System temperatures have been anywhere from the low 80's at idle to the highest of 104 degrees farenhiet after several hours of 3D gaming. These are taken from the BIOS screen, after doing an immediate reboot.

Problems: I am getting some EMI from this new computer that is affecting my tv (about two feet away) and one or both of my monitors, which are adjacent to each other, and both are within 2' of this new computer, and my older PIII 600EB. I had some problems with intereferance (horizontal banding with about a 5mm gap) on these monitors before with my other two computers, but, now it's a different, horizontal banding of about 1/2" gaps. With the tv set, I'm getting white dash like lines diagonally across the picture, some times criss crossing, on channels 2 thru 5.

I'll see about disconnecting the front and rear case fans, along with the CPU fan to see if it's the Panaflos making all the EMI. The fron and rear fan vents are comprised of 1/4" holes and that may be too large to contain the EMI from the case fans. Otherwise, it's either the power supply or the video card, I imagine. The video card I can solve by replacing it's heatsink and fan with a Zalman heatpipe. If it's the power supply, namely the power supply fans, then I'm stuck with buying a different one, or voiding the warranty and replacing the fans with different ones.

The only other problem I have had are with the ATI video drivers going into an infinate loop a couple times and locking up my system. This may be my problem with the SATA to PATA adapter, though, I seem to have less problems while running PATA. I am able to fold the ribbons for the all of the components out of the way of the airflow, so that's not an issue.

It's pretty crowded inside, with the front Audigy 2 Live drive bay, the Global WIN USB socket in front and I placed a Fire Wire slot up front behind the front door, under the USB ports. But, everything is routed out of the way of the airflow. It's not pretty inside (no wire ties or anything), but, there's no windows, so, who cares. =)

Externally, the finish is really nice. Really nice molding on the plastic bezel, nice LED's, and a really nice brushed/satin finish on the aluminum panels.

Overally, I'm very happy with this case.

Thanks,
CRT_Leech

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Thu Mar 20, 2003 9:29 am

Thats a really nice and very expensive setup you have. You have almost the very best of everything. What speakers and monitor are you using with that system?

CRT_Leech

Post by CRT_Leech » Thu Mar 20, 2003 10:28 am

I'm running the Cambridge Audio, Digital SPDIF 2.1 system or, line out to my reciever with Dolby surround, Cerwin Vega AT 12's up front and AT 7's for the rears. My home audio is a bit dated, but, for the room it's in, it's more than sufficient.

I don't have the space required for a 5.1-7.1 at my computer (or reciever, for that matter), so I went with, at the time (when the Soundblaster Live! X-Gamer sound cards had just come out with Digital output), with what sounded best and about the only digital speakers that were out at the time.

For monitors, I have two 19" Panasonic? I can't remember offhand. They were from Costco last summer and I've not been that impressed with them. I'm looking at getting replacements for them with my tax return. They seem to be overly sensitive to intereferance and are not that bright.

I may go with that new Samsung 19" LCD with DVI and analog inputs, that rotates for portrait mode. I'm also thinking about getting one of those AirPanels for my third computer and also for a laptop, if I get one, so I can use it as a laptop and a tablet PC, depending on my need at the moment.

Yea, it's kinda extravagant of a system. The only reason I didn't get a 3.06GB processor was I could not justify spending about $400 more, for a 10% performance increase. I'll probably get another matched set of 512MB sticks, identical to what I have now, with my tax return. Then I'll be set for the life of this computer, which, hopefully will be three years.

That's how long I stretched my other systems, with only upgrades to the video cards, to play the games I play. I still use my PIII 600EB with a GeForce 3 Ti200 for my second accound in EverQuest, which is about the only game I play anymore.

Badashmods

Post by Badashmods » Thu Mar 20, 2003 10:34 am

The case is really easy to set up because of the layout. But the finish on the outside is not as good as my superflower. But I love this case. The 120mm's that came with it are crap lol.