Tools needed to cut additional/bigger fan hole?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

borrible

Tools needed to cut additional/bigger fan hole?

Post by borrible » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:18 am

Hi all,

I've got the Lian Li PC-6070 case, and I'm quite happy with it. I'm using low speed fans and I've just recently decoupled the HDDs. So it's pretty quiet, at least for my needs (overclocked gaming, developing machine).

Since I decoupled the HDDs, the temps have gone up both for the drives and the case, and they take forever to cool down again.
Also, the last remaining really audible fan is the back exhaust 80mm fan.

Now, I've been thinking about either cutting a new 80/92mm hole below the existing one or maybe enlarge the 80mm to a bigger size.

Pic of the back of the case
More Pics

I have practically no experience with working with metal, all I did so far was cutting out the fan grill.

My questions:

- What kind of tools do I need to make a nice additional hole for another fan / or make the existing one bigger
- How would you create the holes for the screws to hold the fan / or is there a better alternative solution to hold the fans?

I'm pretty sure that I cannot remove the back side of the case, that makes it probably a bit harder to work on it.

It is also important to me that the modification looks as nice as possible. I like an aesthetical look, even if its on the back of the case!

Thanks a lot for your suggestions!

Phil

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:08 am

Get a set of Weiss tin snips. The handle color is important. A red handle makes an easy cut to the left, the green makes easy cuts to the right. If you are right-handed you'll use the red handle the most. The yellow makes straight cuts, There's a sticky on this subject.

I sometimes use a large nibbler which is easier to use in some situations....

nici

Post by nici » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:25 am

A hole saw would be best for making a completely new hole.. There is room for another 80mm there. I would not start cutting a hole from scratch with tin-snips unless i really had to. And yes, read the sticky if you already haven't :)

borrible

Post by borrible » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:28 am

Oh, wow, shame on me, I didn't see the sticky! Thanks for your infos though...

borrible

Post by borrible » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:11 am

Ok, now, I've read the sticky. I even found out what a hole saw is :-) ! That seems the easiest, but probably most expensive way to make a hole.

There is still something not clear to me, which I couldn't find in the sticky:
How would you create the small holes for the screws to hold the fan? Would you just use a drill?

I'm sorry if this is all really basic stuff for you, I just don't have any experience with that kind of modding and I want to get as much infos as I can before I waste my case.... thanks a lot!

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:57 am

Yup, I good ole' drill will do fine for the screw holes. Just find a bit that is the same size as the current holes. Maybe start with a smaller bit first to get the location right. Larger bits sometimes drift when you're trying to get started.

RAFH

Post by RAFH » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:45 pm

If you are into buying some new tools, a rotary saw is one heck of a tool. It will do just about anything a dremmel will but has a lot more power, sort of like a combination drill, jigsaw, grinder, router.

borrible

Post by borrible » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:43 pm

Hi RAFH,
Yeah, this evening I will go and check out my local hardware store.
Could you maybe send me a link to a picture of a rotary saw, so that I know what it looks like?
(I've found a lot with google, but I'm not sure which exactly you mean.)
Thanks!