Updated Antec NSK3300, the new NSK3400

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:21 pm

Yeah, I was planning to. But I still need to wait couple of days for my Ninja, before I start building it up.

Shaman
Friend of SPCR

Post by Shaman » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:09 am

Erssa, can you tell us how many vents there are at the top of the case? I've seen very contradicting pics of the alleged NSK3400. (and remember, a pic is worth 1000 words :wink:) Also, did you take the PSU out to see the specs on the side?

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:10 am

Pics as requested
Link

The psu is Antec SU-380, the same that comes with NSK2400.

autoboy

Post by autoboy » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:24 am

wow, can you even get the side cover on with the power supply cables sticking out? It doesn't look like a lot of room.

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:36 am

autoboy wrote:wow, can you even get the side cover on with the power supply cables sticking out? It doesn't look like a lot of room.
Sorry for the crap pictures, they can be decieving. I added a picture to demonstrate the room better. It's about 2cm, so I think it's just fine (although I just added 4mm of rubber to my side covers, so I hope it's still enough space).

http://www.mv.helsinki.fi/emreko/NSK3400/IMG_0055.jpg

Shaman
Friend of SPCR

Post by Shaman » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:50 pm

Nice pics Erssa, thanks. :) There's alot more vents at the top than I imagined. :o

What material did you apply to the side panels?

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:00 pm

Shaman wrote:Nice pics Erssa, thanks. :) There's alot more vents at the top than I imagined. :o
Yeah, although I knew to expect them. They reach so far up front, they they will be even on top of the potential hard drive, how it effects noise remains to be seen, it will most likely improve temps a bit. I guess, I will get my Ninja tomorrow, so I can finish up the install. And take more and better quality pictures.
What material did you apply to the side panels?
It was some 2mm heavy rubbermat. I glued 2 layers of it for a total of 4mm. The sidepanels are now quite heavy and make a real solid thud, when I tap them. So they sound promising. I'm also going to glue some foam on the left side panel, but only after I have installed the heatsink and psu.

gr8r-x

Post by gr8r-x » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:07 pm

gr8r-x wrote:Note: Forgot this part, kind of important for Aus. residents; My supplier said they were getting stock in around 17/03, and I'm pretty sure they are the sole supplier for Aus. (Altech) so you could probably expect retailers to have them shortly after that.
:cry:

It's been pushed back to 2/04/07...

gr8r-x

Post by gr8r-x » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:43 am

Erssa wrote:It was some 2mm heavy rubbermat. I glued 2 layers of it for a total of 4mm. The sidepanels are now quite heavy and make a real solid thud, when I tap them. So they sound promising. I'm also going to glue some foam on the left side panel, but only after I have installed the heatsink and psu.
On this note, I have a question. I've been reading up on dampening/massing panels to reduce noise. But the one glaring fact that keeps sticking in my head is the noise paths. This particular case can have a fan mounted at the front, obviously a primary noise source.

My question is this: Would it be useful to place deflecting foam in the front panel of the case? In front of the fan. Would this redirect some of the noise and help reduce it? Or would it possibly create more turbulance/noise?

Just curious really. Seems like a good idea in my head. But then again, a lot of things do. :lol:

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:11 am

gr8r-x wrote:This particular case can have a fan mounted at the front, obviously a primary noise source.
I see no point in using a front fan.
My question is this: Would it be useful to place deflecting foam in the front panel of the case? In front of the fan. Would this redirect some of the noise and help reduce it? Or would it possibly create more turbulance/noise?

Just curious really. Seems like a good idea in my head. But then again, a lot of things do. :lol:
You can probably place foam there, but I'm not sure, if it is really useful, the foam itself might have a negative impact on airflow and temperatures, that might negate the positive effects of the fan.

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:51 am

Erssa wrote:I see no point in using a front fan.
If you are one of those who likes to keep their HD temp under 40C, using the front fan is one of the easier ways to do it. Yes achieving such HD temperatures probably has no utility, but there are many who like to do it just the same.

In this case, it is very hard to hear a low RPM front fan. I have tried running my NSK3300 both with and without a 92mm Nexus and I just can't tell the difference. The front panel as it is does a pretty good job of blocking noise. The side panels are even better. I'm not sure you would have noticed a difference if you hadn't used the foam, Erssa. I think the big noise problem area is the top with its air slots. In my NSK3300 the PSU fan is my biggest problem (although it is also the loudest fan) and its got far fewer slots than the NSK3400.

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:56 am

jessekopelman wrote:I'm not sure you would have noticed a difference if you hadn't used the foam, Erssa.
I haven't glued any foam yet, only 4mm of rubber to the side panels.

http://www.mv.helsinki.fi/emreko/NSK3400/IMG_0052.jpg
I think the big noise problem area is the top with its air slots. In my NSK3300 the PSU fan is my biggest problem (although it is also the loudest fan) and its got far fewer slots than the NSK3400.
I can't decide which one is louder atm, VF900 or S12-430. I think S12 is louder, but the VF900 has more irritating noise signature. Of course, I'm not done yet. My computer is still wide open on the floor. But at least it's working now, so I was able to upload some more pics. I'm now going to post a thread to general gallery.

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:49 pm

Erssa wrote:
jessekopelman wrote:I'm not sure you would have noticed a difference if you hadn't used the foam, Erssa.
I haven't glued any foam yet, only 4mm of rubber to the side panels.
I meant the rubber . . . I'm just saying I think the side panels are the last thing to worry about on this case. Of course, once I solve my fan issues I may decide it still needs something more and I'll be putting something on those panels too . . .

Moogles

Post by Moogles » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:58 pm

Can someone give me an indication of the build quality of this case? I'm interested in buying one because my TJ08 is too flimsy. Is it comparable to an Antec Solo? Also, does it have those sillicone grommets for feet found on other Antec cases?

Thanks. :)

gr8r-x

Post by gr8r-x » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:13 pm

Moogles wrote:Can someone give me an indication of the build quality of this case? I'm interested in buying one because my TJ08 is too flimsy. Is it comparable to an Antec Solo? Also, does it have those sillicone grommets for feet found on other Antec cases?

I can't comment directly on the NSK3400, but I've built systems in almost every other NSK series case, and a wide range of Antec's cases over the years and there build quality is excellent. All of the cases feel sturdy and strong. I've never felt like one of the cases was going to buckle whilst working on it, or that something would crush if I tightened a screw to much (ever worked with Foxconn cases? :x )

The fact that most of there cases are made from steel is a big plus. Makes them a bit heavier, but stronger. I mean aluminum cases can be MADE tough, but it's just not really an inherent characteristic.

Also, on a safety note, I've never cut myself on an Antec case.

Edit:
Oh, and according to here, the NSK3300 had silicon feet, so you can assume that the NSK3400 does as well (why would they drop it?).

Moogles

Post by Moogles » Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:13 am

gr8r-x wrote:
Moogles wrote:Can someone give me an indication of the build quality of this case? I'm interested in buying one because my TJ08 is too flimsy. Is it comparable to an Antec Solo? Also, does it have those sillicone grommets for feet found on other Antec cases?

I can't comment directly on the NSK3400, but I've built systems in almost every other NSK series case, and a wide range of Antec's cases over the years and there build quality is excellent. All of the cases feel sturdy and strong. I've never felt like one of the cases was going to buckle whilst working on it, or that something would crush if I tightened a screw to much (ever worked with Foxconn cases? :x )

The fact that most of there cases are made from steel is a big plus. Makes them a bit heavier, but stronger. I mean aluminum cases can be MADE tough, but it's just not really an inherent characteristic.

Also, on a safety note, I've never cut myself on an Antec case.

Edit:
Oh, and according to here, the NSK3300 had silicon feet, so you can assume that the NSK3400 does as well (why would they drop it?).
Thanks. :) I should have just read some NSK3300 reviews. I ordered my NSK34000, the sillicone feet and the more sturdy construction quality should make quite a difference... hopefully.

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:40 am

Not that my answer is needed anymore, but I can attest to the build quality of NSK3400, it's top notch.

But I managed to cut my hand when I was installing the rear fan. I'm not exactly sure what did it, but I'd think it was the hole for I/O-ports. I was soft mounting my rear fan with silicone plugs, it was a pain in the ass because the plugs were pretty tough fit, even when I tested them outside the case, but inside the case there was just so little space and the plugs had to be pulled hard so the fan could be installed properly.

Landroval

Post by Landroval » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:53 am

One more question for Erssa. I've been looking for this case for a while now, but it seems to be found nowhere in Finland. The availability date keeps pushing forward all the time. So where did you get yours?

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:21 pm

Landroval

Post by Landroval » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:46 am

ic... that's the shop I've been looking at too. Maybe I just put the order in and see when it arrives.

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:14 am

Landroval wrote:ic... that's the shop I've been looking at too. Maybe I just put the order in and see when it arrives.
I ordered my case in mid February so, I could have got the first NSK3400 sold in Finland. I also order from famiko, because the had open cornered b/w Nexus fans for a reasonable price of 11.30e.

Maelwys

Post by Maelwys » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:17 am

Just a note for anyone in the US who is planning to get the 3400 (like me): An Antec rep just told me that they will be released in the US by the end of May. No specific release date has been set yet.

gr8r-x

Post by gr8r-x » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:31 pm

Well I got my NSK3400 today, and I must say I'm VERY unimpressed with the PSU... They have used EXACTLY the same PSU as in the NSK4400, which normally would be OK except for the fact that there is no way I (or anyone else) is going to use 9 (yes, NINE) 4-pin molex plugs... At most, this system could have 2 optical, 1 floppy and 1 HDD (or swap an optical for a 2nd HDD). So that's 4 power connectors.

In total, there are 12 power connectors, not including the ATX, P4-PWR and GPU-PWR connectors. And they are useless and take up a lot of space. They would be better off offering this case without a PSU, it's that useless.

I think that they should have put in a different PSU, with a minimum of cables.

Oh, and on another note, the ATX PWR cable is way to short. If your motherboard doesn't have the connector in the top right corner (when looking at case vertically), you won't be plugging it in.

Shame really. Apart from the PSU, the case is very promising.

KJ

Post by KJ » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:11 am

Maelwys wrote:Just a note for anyone in the US who is planning to get the 3400 (like me): An Antec rep just told me that they will be released in the US by the end of May. No specific release date has been set yet.
Thanks for the tip.

Maelwys

Post by Maelwys » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:38 pm

gr8r-x wrote:I think that they should have put in a different PSU, with a minimum of cables.
On an old mod where I needed to cut down on cables coming from the PSU for routing purposes, I snipped off two cables right at the PS case and capped the wires. Granted, you can't get those plugs back if you need them in the future, but in this case it might be worth doing because of the lack of storage room.

That short 12v PWR cable was an issue on the 3300 as well - I'm not sure why it wasn't addressed. Something like this might do the trick though:

http://www.svc.com/cbl-extend-12v.html