Am I asking for trouble ??

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

coolicious

Am I asking for trouble ??

Post by coolicious » Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:51 pm

case: antec lanboy
power: antec smartblue 350
board: gigabyte 7dxr
cpu: amd athlon xp 2200+
cpu cooler: zalman 5100 at lowest speed (maintains 51c all time)

*first of all DISCONNECTED the 120 mm intake fan on the Smartblue because ive seen plenty of 300w+ without the 2nd fan anyway, sure this is 350 but i dont even run too many devices in box and NO O/Clocking

*i switched out REAR exhaust P/S fan with a quieter 80mm than the one that came in there and i ran a 4pin molex out of the P/S unit along with the rest of the wires which powers that one fan in the Smartblue

*the 2 80mm's i run (one intake in the front of pc hooked into that green box the LANBOY has & the one i previously mentioned which sits in the power supply are BOTH REDUCED TO 5volts using the 'do it urself' technique to reduce voltage

my question is could this 350 power supply run into some problems in the near future ? ive run this like this for almost 3 days now and no problems at all. The system runs almost completely inaudible (im still working on the HD but hehe thats always the hardest to quiet :) -- keep in mind that the 2 actual connectors for the 2 fans in my P/S are both disconnected as i run the power for the one i do have running in there out with the cabling coming into the PC area. obviously im defeating the 'smart' system of the P/S but i just found too much ambient noise running those 2 at the 12 volts the P/S was feeding it.. i suppose i could also run that 120mm intake at the 5v as well and im POSTIVE that wouldnt add a bit of sound.. just wondering if im asking for trouble? again cpu runs cool at 51-52c CONSTANT with the zalman on lowest setting. thx for any suggestions/help.. i plan to build the rubber box for the HD and i should be close to yoshi's 10 dB VERY CHEAPLY and with NO WATER :0

COPY/PASTE url new window stupid geocities/yahoo :|

http://www.geocities.com/synikalownz/case2.jpg

url to get a better idea of what ive done so far..

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:42 pm

Welcome....It's difficult to say what your outcome will be. So many variables you just have to try it.

Your picture link won't open for me!!!

dinde

Post by dinde » Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:43 pm

u mean the 92mm psu fan not 120 hehe

coolicious

Post by coolicious » Fri Apr 04, 2003 10:07 pm

yes dinde 92mm my bad - heh but 120mm would be nice in a P/S ill have to try and get one in ;)

bluefront i know its 'retarded' but u have to actually do a edit-copy of the url, then open up a new explorer window, paste then hit enter.. something to do with geocities/yahoo not wanting u to link urls direct likeso it DOES work you just have to take an extra step or two unnecessarily due to the way they have their system setup

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Apr 05, 2003 5:00 am

Looks like you've got yourself a quiet one there. I'd run the bottom, 92mm PSU fan at 5V if I was you, just for a little more cooling.

What HDD is it that you're working on?

-I'm pretty sure your rig is already quieter than Yoshi's. :)

coolicious

Post by coolicious » Sat Apr 05, 2003 9:30 am

haha :)

the HDD is just a Western Digital Caviar 40gb.. nothing special, and not especially quiet 'yet' - heh

thats just some thin foam stuff i wrapped around it and then i just taped it all up with packaging tape. lol - it does actually work well but im thinking of building the rubber box mentioned on this site if i can ever find that printing block anywhere :/ for the HDD

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Sat Apr 05, 2003 9:39 am

coolicious wrote:haha :)

the HDD is just a Western Digital Caviar 40gb.. nothing special, and not especially quiet 'yet' - heh

thats just some thin foam stuff i wrapped around it and then i just taped it all up with packaging tape. lol - it does actually work well but im thinking of building the rubber box mentioned on this site if i can ever find that printing block anywhere :/ for the HDD
Just watch out from overheating the drive. Check the tempertures of the hard disk using SpeedFan, Dtemp or something similar. The way you have have described it, seems like you are likely to cause overheating. You could have a premature death of your HD, be careful. :evil: