AcoustiPack Application on a Fusion/NSK2400

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

PPGMD

AcoustiPack Application on a Fusion/NSK2400

Post by PPGMD » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:03 pm

I purchased AcoustiPack so I can get the last little bit of noise dampened on my Fusion HTPC build, the system itself is quiet with exception of when it does extensive hard drive seeking, and suspension is not an option so I am trying AcoustiPack.

I purchased the deluxe kit, and was wondering if it would be best to coat the hard drive compartment walls with the thicker anechoic like sheet rather then the slimmer regular sheet?

Also should I use the foam block in the empty drive holder (the one closest to the back has a drive in it, the front one is empty except wires)?

nici

Post by nici » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:37 pm

You should apply the thicker foam as much as you can, and use all the blocks too. I wish i could buy the blocks separately, or it would be even better if i could buy the material in bulk somewhere. I probably could if i knew what it was.. Just make sure you dont end up blocking the airflow with the stuff, and keep in mind it also works better if its not all squeezed tightly.

DeltaForce

Acoustifoam

Post by DeltaForce » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:57 pm

I installed the acoustipack into my original acousticase. Yes, you can put blocks into the empty drive compartments, but make sure they don’t impede airflow around the drive (as the earlier post said). I cut some blocks short, and in-half, to make more room around the drive. The acousipack material can raise case temperatures a tiny bit, you should know.

In my experience, a quiet-designed case, and that acoutifoam material will only slightly reduce sound, but perhaps that is all you need. I was pretty disappointed initially, until I realized dampening sound energy that’s already started is much less effective than stopping it, or reducing it at the source. What kind of drive do you have? Not all drives are equally quiet, and there are detailed noise-level reviews on this site. Getting the quietest drive is where I would put my focus –if reduced noise is that important.

A quiet case will primarily avoid unnecessary noise like rattling, panels resonating, etc, and I doubt the acoustifoam will reduce drive seek noise much –although it shouldn’t hurt either. Keep the receipts though!

CoolGav

Post by CoolGav » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:31 am

I have an NSK2400 and don't hear the hard drive - probably because it's a new WD 2.5" SATA one, that's quiet to begin with. Also since laptop drives don't use as much power, they don't heat as much, and don't require as much cooling, so you can add more damping over some of the intake if you want...