Fan grills vs. Air filters - which is noisier?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Boomerang Rapido

Fan grills vs. Air filters - which is noisier?

Post by Boomerang Rapido » Fri Apr 04, 2003 4:04 am

I have two exhaust fans in my case and I'm considering cutting out the stamped fan grills. But I don't want anybody (dog included) getting their fingers... or whatever caught in the fan. So I want to put one of those air filter things over the hole.... like these (danish site). Would these cause more or less noise?

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Fri Apr 04, 2003 4:14 am

Unless I'm reading you wrong, you wouldn't want to put a filter over the exhaust outlet....a muffler of some sort maybe. Turn the fans around, blow into the case.....that's how those filters were intended to be used. Course I only read English, so maybe there's more to it...heh.

Boomerang Rapido

Post by Boomerang Rapido » Fri Apr 04, 2003 4:29 am

Nope I think you are reading right. I realise those things are intended for intake fans, I just considered those out of lack of better options.

NeilBlanchard

What about a wire grill?

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Apr 04, 2003 6:22 am

Hello:

What about regular wire grills?

http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp ... 250-01.JPG

:P

These would probably be the quietest of anything other than nothing at all...the grills you linked might also be quiet if they are just the square holes. Though the openings look a bit small and they might have a hissing-type noise if the volume of air is fairly high.