dampening foam and power supply

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

louder

dampening foam and power supply

Post by louder » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:57 am

hi to all :) . I have a NZXT Hush case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811146035 . This case have a top psu configuration. I was wondering if removing/cutting the dampening foam above the PSU zone (like a square above the psu) could help to low the temp of the psu. Is summer in here (Peru) and every little thing helps.
Is it worth to cut the foam¿? or the foam doesn't trap any heat in a top psu configuration?

quest_for_silence

Re: dampening foam and power supply

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:06 pm

louder wrote:Is it worth to cut the foam¿?

IMO no.
louder wrote:or the foam doesn't trap any heat in a top psu configuration?
AFAIK it doesn't matter.

louder

Post by louder » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:58 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:
louder wrote:Is it worth to cut the foam¿?

IMO no.
louder wrote:or the foam doesn't trap any heat in a top psu configuration?
AFAIK it doesn't matter.
Thanks, quest_for_silence . Any other input or experience in this matter would be appreciated :D.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:35 am

louder wrote:Any other input or experience in this matter would be appreciated :D.
Fist of all, what can anyone advice for, if we don't even know all your parts?

Said that, there's not a lot you can do with such a case: I know that in South America it is very difficult to get some decent piece of hardware at decent pricing, but it's a way old design (prior than 2007), clearly not suitable for hot graphics, and not well suited for efficient cooling too.

The PSU will always be heated, to some degree, but the intake/fan needs to face downwards or it will gasp for air: just whether you are going to cut a top inlet, you may reverse it.
What you might do is likely a fan swap, but that would also probably shorten the PSU life, given your ambient temp.
And do not use the lower HDD cage, if you have some hot graphic card.

louder

Post by louder » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:37 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:
louder wrote:Any other input or experience in this matter would be appreciated :D.
Fist of all, what can anyone advice for, if we don't even know all your parts?

Said that, there's not a lot you can do with such a case: I know that in South America it is very difficult to get some decent piece of hardware at decent pricing, but it's a way old design (prior than 2007), clearly not suitable for hot graphics, and not well suited for efficient cooling too.

The PSU will always be heated, to some degree, but the intake/fan needs to face downwards or it will gasp for air: just whether you are going to cut a top inlet, you may reverse it.
What you might do is likely a fan swap, but that would also probably shorten the PSU life, given your ambient temp.
And do not use the lower HDD cage, if you have some hot graphic card.
I didn't put all my parts cause I just wanted to know if the top foam in a case would trap the heat of any top mounted psu.

Just in case ill leave my specs:

CPU: Ahtlon II X3 440 (unlocked 4th core) and OCed to 3.30Ghz
CPU heatsink: DeepCool Gammaxx 200
RAM: 6 GB 1x4GB RAM, 1x2GB RAM both kingston valueram
GPU: XFX HD5750 1GB GDDR5
Mainboard: GA-870A-USB3
HDD: 1TB seagate HDDs x 3
PSU: Cooler Master extreme power plus RS-460-PCAP-A3 (460Watts)

Summer temps:
Room: 29c
CPU 4 core full load: 60c (using furmark so 100% gpu also)
CPU iddle: 45c

I think my temps for summer are "ok" ,in the winter we have like 16c with 99% humidity

My only worry was that I can barely put my hand in the rear of my psu , maybe is just the hot air that is heating the metal surface?, cause the sides aren't that hot to the touch, I can put my palm around the psu with no problem.

Yes, sadly here in south america we suffer from a lack of variety. Here in Peru I think the prices are kind of manageable but many brands are not present. As an example, recently in 2015 we had some official presence from Seasonic.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:32 am

louder wrote:I think my temps for summer are "ok" ,in the winter we have like 16c with 99% humidity

My only worry was that I can barely put my hand in the rear of my psu , maybe is just the hot air that is heating the metal surface?, cause the sides aren't that hot to the touch, I can put my palm around the psu with no problem.
AFAIK that's about normal (at least in summer), as 50-60-70°C exhaust will heat up air and steel (the PSU breath "fresh" air through its fan, which pushes the hot one through the rear PSU grille), whether there it's foam lined or not, particularly considering that you have a very inefficient, outdated and hot PSU (I'm also expecting it's noisy: if it isn't noisy, then it's under cooled, and that adds up to rear air heating).
Your CPU temps look fine too, so seemingly there should not be any induced (I mean, by the case) significant overheating.

I can't say about the winter season, because the referred ambient temp and the expected load should not heat up enough your PSU (and therefore the air coming from), though it should have taken into account you have such a very inefficient (and possibly under cooled) PSU.
Please take note that a proper PSU fan swap in case would reduce the PSU noise (if any), but it could also worsen that rear heating (worsening the under cooling).

louder wrote:Yes, sadly here in south america we suffer from a lack of variety. Here in Peru I think the prices are kind of manageable but many brands are not present. As an example, recently in 2015 we had some official presence from Seasonic.
I think you might even drop a PM to our co-forumer Abula, about that: he's well experienced about purchasing and dispatching any kind of IT equipment in South America so, in case you needed, perhaps he might also help/advice.

louder

Post by louder » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:29 pm

quest_for_silence wrote: AFAIK that's about normal (at least in summer), as 50-60-70°C exhaust will heat up air and steel (the PSU breath "fresh" air through its fan, which pushes the hot one through the rear PSU grille), whether there it's foam lined or not, particularly considering that you have a very inefficient, outdated and hot PSU (I'm also expecting it's noisy: if it isn't noisy, then it's under cooled, and that adds up to rear air heating).
Your CPU temps look fine too, so seemingly there should not be any induced (I mean, by the case) significant overheating.
quest_for_silence wrote: I can't say about the winter season, because the referred ambient temp and the expected load should not heat up enough your PSU (and therefore the air coming from), though it should have taken into account you have such a very inefficient (and possibly under cooled) PSU.
Please take note that a proper PSU fan swap in case would reduce the PSU noise (if any), but it could also worsen that rear heating (worsening the under cooling).
Well for winter season I can't really remenber how hot to the touch the metal psu rear is :P. But I suppose isn't that hot. To my knowledge this PSU uses the Yate Loon D12SH-12 (2,200 rpm, 88 cfm). I will test with the cooler from my other PSU a Corsair CX430 that uses the same fan. Now that I think better maybe my fan is too old and RPMs are lower, cause the last time that I open my CM PSU I had to lubricate the fan (rattling/clicking noise). I know is low end PSU but is better that any generic and it has like 76% efficiency at full load and 80% at lower loads.
About the noise , both PSUs that I own that have the YLD12SH-12 don't buzz/whine or vibrate (when they are new at least) the only thing that I can hear is the sound of the air like a woosh but isn't loud (at least for me).
quest_for_silence wrote: I think you might even drop a PM to our co-forumer Abula, about that: he's well experienced about purchasing and dispatching any kind of IT equipment in South America so, in case you needed, perhaps he might also help/advice.
Ty! I will keep that in mind.

Well I gues I will test my CM psu using my other psu fan (corsair CX430) and see what happens. And I'll keep the foam in his place.
Thank you "quest_for_silence" you have been awesome !.

PS: I now is kind of topic but do you have any recommendations about online stores that sale the Yate Loon D12SH-12. My first choice would be Aliexpress. Or if u now a fan model (from other brands like cooler master, nexus etc... ) that I can use to replace my old D12SH-12. I'm mainly interested in the 88cfm spec.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:58 pm

if you have empty 5.25 bays, you could duct the PSU intake, from front of case, so that it is isolated from other internal heat sources.

louder

Post by louder » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:34 pm

xan_user wrote:if you have empty 5.25 bays, you could duct the PSU intake, from front of case, so that it is isolated from other internal heat sources.
nice idea, ty!. Maybe I'll search for that in youtbe.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:11 pm

louder wrote:PS: I now is kind of topic but do you have any recommendations about online stores that sale the Yate Loon D12SH-12. My first choice would be Aliexpress. Or if u now a fan model (from other brands like cooler master, nexus etc... ) that I can use to replace my old D12SH-12. I'm mainly interested in the 88cfm spec.
I miss your request, somehow: I can't recommend any proven shop for the YL D12SH-12 (which also ships for cheap in Peru), but anyway I'd likely rather a Scythe SY1225SL12H to that fan.