Portable Multitrack Recording Box?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

dgouldin

Portable Multitrack Recording Box?

Post by dgouldin » Fri Mar 14, 2003 1:39 pm

I do a decent bit of multitrack recording using the M-Audio Delta 1010LT card in my pc. Right now I'm using a standard ATX mobo with an Athlon XP 1600 (probably soon to be upgraded), but I could be convinced to go to an XPC if I need to. Obviously I am in dire need of a QUIET pc that won't add any "color" (text note: sarcasm) to my recordings, but I also need it to be portable enough to take with me to a venue, practice, or studio. What would you guys recommend as a good compromise? Can, say, a Shuttle SN41G2 be modded to be quiet enough for recording, or do I need to get a big solid case and let my back take the punishment? How about something in between like a Lanboy?

Thanks for the advice!!

Tore

Post by Tore » Mon Mar 17, 2003 6:31 am

How about a plexiglass PC? http://www.clearpc.ca

It shouldn't be to heavy, it should be big enough to have a decent air flow, and it should be easy to make some extra holes for air and it should be easy to mount a suitcase-handle at the top.

Don't know how vulnerable it is for vibration noise though. Any comments on this idea?

Franz

Post by Franz » Tue Mar 18, 2003 11:04 pm

If you want a case that is rugged and light, you will have to spend a large amount of time and/or money. Also, the standard computer components are designed for stationary use, a large amount on travel will take it's toll.
The two current best bets are:
1: A powerful laptop connected to a case with your converters and preamps and cables and mikes and stands and UPS and......
2: A rackmount computer case in a rack case with your converters and preamps and cables and mikes and stands and UPS and......

the first could be carried in one trip.
the second could be put on good quality wheels and be moved by one person, unless there are stairs, or your back is very strong.

I would suggest a DAT or ADAT deck, just for capture, and download when you get home.

Franz

way2slo

Post by way2slo » Thu Mar 20, 2003 10:18 am

snaimpally

silent pc for audio

Post by snaimpally » Sat Mar 22, 2003 11:16 pm

http://www.carillondirect.com/clnweb/cl ... country=US

These guys specifically make quiet rackmount computer systems for audio applications.

I think a laptop is the best way to go. My brother in law has a Mac powerbook and a 1U rack box that provides 8 mic preamps and connects to the laptop via firewire.

fmah
Friend of SPCR

Post by fmah » Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:24 pm

Shuttle seems pretty quiet in the store. It has a variable speed fan to cool the CPU and a tiny PS fan. A laptop is the only other option, but that probably doesn't fit your audio hardware, unless you'd like to change that. There are 2 or 3 multi I/O units using either Firewire or USB 2.0.

An aluminum case would be the way to go if you can't use the Shuttle, don't use plexi since it won't shield the EMI which will degrade your audio. If you get a case you might think about putting a handle on it. Or get a small rackmount and put it in a plastic rack case. Actually you'd probably want to put the Shuttle in a case to protect it anyway, if you're moving it around.