Suggestions for desktop micr-ATX case

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

bosock

Suggestions for desktop micr-ATX case

Post by bosock » Sun Feb 23, 2003 6:54 pm

I'm looking for a low profile micro-ATX case to use for a PVR system. But I have no experience with these cases. Newegg has a few offerings, but I'm unsure how they are as far as noise is concerned.

Do these units use standard power supplies such that I might be able to replace a noisy one?

I was thinking of using a ASUS nforce board (A7N266-VM) since I've always had good experience with ASUS in the past. From the pictures it doesn't seem to have a fan on the northbridge which is an advantage. I'd need to get a low-profile GeForce4 MX440 to add TV-out, but those don't have fans either. And I'd prefer a case with a standard 5.25" bay so I don't have to pay 3-4x the price for a DVD-ROM.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

bosock

Michael_qrt

Post by Michael_qrt » Sun Feb 23, 2003 10:33 pm

This case from Aopen looks good http://www.aopen.com/products/housing/A340-series.htm

but I don't know how easy it will be to quiet with the PSU delivering an unknown amount of noise. BTW it is also reviewed here http://www.dansdata.com/5dcases.htm

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Feb 24, 2003 12:07 am

Michael_qrt wrote:This case from Aopen looks good... but I don't know how easy it will be to quiet with the PSU delivering an unknown amount of noise.
I used one of these AOpen cases (similar anyway) a year ago and was surprised at the relatively low noise of the PSU, which uses an 80mm fan. Should be easy enough to swap out if necessary.

Tore

Re: Suggestions for desktop micr-ATX case

Post by Tore » Tue Feb 25, 2003 4:52 am

bosock wrote:I'm looking for a low profile micro-ATX case to use for a PVR system.
What is a PVR system?

I have a Lian-Li PC9300 USB case which I'm going to put under the TV for home entertainment stuff. Nice case, but not very much space.

bosock

Post by bosock » Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:42 am

Tore wrote:What is a PVR system?
Personal Video Recorder--Stick in a TV tuner card and the PC can work like a Tivo device. I was going to use the ASUS TV Tuner as it comes on a low profile card and also add in an ASUS GF4 MX440 that also comes low profile and with TV-out.

bosock

Tore

Post by Tore » Tue Feb 25, 2003 6:13 am

bosock wrote:
Tore wrote:What is a PVR system?
Personal Video Recorder--Stick in a TV tuner card and the PC can work like a Tivo device. I was going to use the ASUS TV Tuner as it comes on a low profile card and also add in an ASUS GF4 MX440 that also comes low profile and with TV-out.

bosock

Then I'd say the Lian-Li PC9300 USB is a nice case if you like the design. It isn't low profile though.

I've removed the HD-led and put in the IR-receiver instead. The IR-receiver also had a led which would flash up when using the remote controll. I cut it off and connected the led in the blue stripe so the blue stripe lights up when using the remote controll. Today the Matrox Orbital LCD display with blue backlight came, so when I come home I'll see if it fits 8)

I haven't settled on the fan layout yet, as I'm waiting for a Seasonic PSU to replace a Fortron PSU with loud coil buzzing. But I think I should be able to get a very quiet system. I think I'll use a two or three fan setup.

Also, I bought a ATI 9000 card because I thought it was fan-less. Later I found out that the Pro versions has a fan, so I'll have to see how to solve that. I have some ideas, but I want the system up and running before I try.

bosock

Post by bosock » Tue Feb 25, 2003 6:35 am

Tore wrote:
Then I'd say the Lian-Li PC9300 USB is a nice case if you like the design. It isn't low profile though.
Unfortunately, I really want low profile since I have to sell the concept to the wife. Low profile would make this much easier. ;)
Tore wrote:Also, I bought a ATI 9000 card because I thought it was fan-less. Later I found out that the Pro versions has a fan, so I'll have to see how to solve that. I have some ideas, but I want the system up and running before I try.
I looked at the 9000, but couldn't find any low profile versions. The MX440 has a few versions available in low profile and without fans. More than capable for a PVR and not a bad second gaming machine.

bosovk

Tore

Post by Tore » Tue Feb 25, 2003 1:18 pm

I wrote a bit more about my project in http://forums.silentpcreview.com//viewtopic.php?t=3118

The Lian-Li PC9100 does also look good and is low profile, but it is flex atx and use slim CD/DVD.

Tore

Post by Tore » Thu Feb 27, 2003 8:41 pm

Look at this... it might be something for you!

http://www.mb.digitalpowerhouse.net/

Tripitz

Post by Tripitz » Mon Mar 03, 2003 3:53 pm

Have you thought about the Coolermaster 610 series? I'm very close to purchasing this case as it is Micro-ATX, but also uses a true power supply. It is also not that large. The problem with the Lian-li is that the power supplies are limited to 200watts if I'm not mistaken. That truly limits what one can put inside the case.

bosock

Post by bosock » Mon Mar 03, 2003 6:19 pm

Have you thought about the Coolermaster 610 series? I'm very close to purchasing this case as it is Micro-ATX, but also uses a true power supply. It is also not that large. The problem with the Lian-li is that the power supplies are limited to 200watts if I'm not mistaken. That truly limits what one can put inside the case.
Its too big for what I want. I'm not that concerned with the power since all I'll be putting in is the MX440, the tuner card, a HDD, and a DVD-ROM. The MB already has NIC, USB, etc. I might want to put in an additional HDD later. If the power becomes an issue then I'll probably move both to a separate server.

bosock

smush

Post by smush » Mon Apr 07, 2003 2:58 pm

Yes, I am looking to build a PVR/divx unit too :D

Anybody heard about http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/sleekline/ Sleekline? They are made by PC Power and Cooling, though they don't sell barebone models. I wonder about the noise though...

Besides building a Mini-ITX rig, there don't seem to be many options. There is that AOpen model, but how noisy is the PSU? I think either that Cooler Master ATC-610 or the Lian-Li PC-35 would be good compromises, they are not real slim, but they can house a full ATX PSU.