Mufflers?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Ducky

Mufflers?

Post by Ducky » Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:17 pm

Saw these computer mufflers at
http://www.muffledcomputing.com/ps-muff ... ail-1.html
It has a schematic on what it looks like inside, so I was wondering if that'd really help with the noise levels or not.

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aphonos » Tue Apr 15, 2003 2:33 pm

Try searching the forums for "'muffler". They get discussed every now and then.

I vaguely remember MikeC talking about reviewing Muffled Computing's product at some point, but I don't think he has gotten to it yet. Too many other products for him to play with.

One of my upcoming projects will be to try a DIY muffler based on their design.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:48 pm

I don't believe their claims. Having tried several DIY mufflers of similar design...on the power supply.... In every case the temps went up and the PSU fan would speed up. Measurement of the output temps at the fan grill showed temp increases approaching 10C....not worth it.

wally007

Post by wally007 » Tue Apr 15, 2003 4:07 pm

Actually it works great. I own one on my Antec 430W ( quiet model , forgot its model name ) and it does its job great. But remeber you HAVE to have some of that sound dampening stuff inside your case as well as most PSU's have 2 fans and you need to quiet down both of them.

IF you want to hear the difference it makes with Vantec Tornado , just use google.com , there is video review. I dont remeber where , but it was something 3dgameman dot com ... or so.

Lithium
Patron of SPCR

Post by Lithium » Tue Apr 15, 2003 7:00 pm

Yeah I saw the video... and he used dampening material so I guess I'll wait to see how quiet my new system is before I head for the muffler/dampening material route.

The video was pretty damn impresive, although being attached with velco... I really wonder if that's the optimum way to attach a muffler :P oh well least it should be easy to get on and off.

Ducky

Post by Ducky » Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:22 am

Hmmm. After trying a few things, I think the muffler idea can work if you had a high-CFM fan blowing out... My current slot blower/duct is so strong that all available openings in my computer case besides is sucking air into the case. Even my PSU fan's apparently helpless against it -- the amount of air blown out from it seems drastically reduced. :shock:

Since it's a slot fan I'm trying to muffle, I can't use the product on that website anyway. So, I'm going to attempt to make a L-shaped thing the width/height of the slot blower, with the inside lined with acoustic foam, which should absorb some of the sound.

Something like:

\ \____
\_____ <- fan here

I'll post the results when I'm done.