Sonata + FSP350-60PN

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Will35

Sonata + FSP350-60PN

Post by Will35 » Tue Apr 15, 2003 2:57 pm

I've been playing with my Sonata for about a month now. The following are observations I've noted. Other than trying to keep all the wiring out of the way the only case mod has been to the front intake. I've read lots of posts about this case running "hot". My experience doesn't seem to reflect this.

The setup:
Intel D845PEBT2
Intel P4 2.4b 533
Zalman 6500 Cu Heatsink
Barracuda V ATA 60GB hd0
WD400BB 40gb hd1 (soon to depart)
Samsung 512x2 PC2700
Radeon 9000 Pro 128 (fan unplugged)

Cooling fans:
Vantec Stealth 120 inside case @775rpm, running from MB
Antec 120 as exhaust controlled by the PSU
Zalman 92mm fan on CPU @ 1500rpm
Front intake mod

Test w/ "Antec" holes open

Room temp 70-71F
Idle temps CPU 30-31 MB sensors 29-30, hd0 35

CPU-burn till temps stabilize
100% temps CPU 47-48 MB sensors 37-38 hd0 35

Test w/ "Antec" holes blocked
Idle temps CPU 31-32 MB sensors 30-31 hd0 37

100% temps CPU 51-52 MB sensors 40-41 hd0 37

The second fan on the HD cage made a 10c difference in the 'cuda's temp, 48c being the recorded high before installing the fan on the HD cage.

At this point the loudest component in the box was the power supply. After following Katana Man's thread regarding the Fortron w/ 120mm fan and his subsequent case article I decided to take the leap and order the FSP350-60PN from XP Direct. The first step was to swap the PSU and leave all the remaining components as they were with the Antec PSU. I did remove the fan guard as it interfered with the PSU “shelf” on the case. The system was immediately quieter and the idle temps were the same as before the PSU swap. I did notice an intermittent "buzz" coming from the case that was eliminated by wedging a small piece of foam in two locations between the case and PSU. It seems that there was some sort of harmonic caused by the PSU hanging from the four mounting screws

As I was staring in the box trying to visualize the airflow I decided that the 120 PSU fan and the 120mm case exhaust fan might be a bit of overkill. After blocking the rear 120mm case fan outlet with a 120mm fan filter plugged with some paper I ran one more temp test. The following temps are the result of this mod. The "Antec" holes are still blocked.

Idle temps CPU 31-32 MB sensors 30-31 hd0 37

100% temps CPU 53-54 MB sensors 41-42 hd0 39

I also gave it a whirl with the CPU fan unplugged as the 6500 is very close to the PSU fan.... no way!! The CPU temps ramped up rather quickly to 65c and I decided that I'd pull the plug on that run.

The box at this point fades into the ambient noise during the day and in the late evening when things are very quiet there is only the whisper of the air exhausting the PSU, a slight whining noise from the Zalman and a clicky sound from the 120mm Stealth mounted behind the HD cage. This is from about four –five feet. A couple of quiet Panaflo fans and I'm going to call her good! This quiet PC stuff can become a bit of an obsession..... Is there a 12 step program for this addiction?? :shock:

If I had it to do over again I would chose a different case with more conventional placement of the front fan. I like the size of the Sonata and the HD mounting but the internal mounting of the second fan really limits ones options. The color looks good initially, but damn, it's as bad as a black car… it never stays truly clean for more than 15 minutes. The blue lights on the front, they remind me of K-Mart. :roll: The bang for the buck with the FSP350-60PN is pretty hard to beat. It’s not silent but it's pretty darn quiet.

Mr_Smartepants

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:35 am

Very nicely done! :D

I like what you've done with the front intake holes. I've been meaning to do the same thing to mine (need to order a new dremel though).
I have almost the same setup as yours. Although my P4 cooler is an Alpha with a L1A and I have yet to swap out the power supply (I'm leaning toward the Silenx but I might get the Fortron to save some $$$).
I have my hard drives mounted with the cables facing out (instead of 'in' like you've done). I will probably turn them around once I'm done fiddling with the case (does that ever happen?). :lol:

I also isolated the power supply with 1/8" foam strips and it makes a slight difference.

Again, "hat's off" to you for a very nice case.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:00 am

<<I've been meaning to do the same thing to mine (need to order a new dremel though).>>
It's only plastic: I took a pair of large cutting pliers to mine & cut away every little bit of the inner plastic blockage. Yeah, it is a little messy, but a little trimming & besides who sees it? Not even you once the bezel goes on.

Mr_Smartepants

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:11 am

MikeC wrote:<<I've been meaning to do the same thing to mine (need to order a new dremel though).>>
It's only plastic: I took a pair of large cutting pliers to mine & cut away every little bit of the inner plastic blockage. Yeah, it is a little messy, but a little trimming & besides who sees it? Not even you once the bezel goes on.
Yes but I'll know it's there! :lol:

Besides, after I post pictures here of my setup, everyone will see the 'nastiness'. :lol:

Maybe I'll cut it all away now and clean it up later with my spankity new dremel when it arrives in the post. Then I'll have time to clean up some of the wiring as well.
Hmm, maybe I'll delay the photoshoot until then.... :wink:

Argh, does it ever stop? :P

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:14 am

Argh, does it ever stop?
not till your monitors are silent and your breathing obscures any other PC noise :lol:

Will35

Post by Will35 » Wed Apr 16, 2003 11:02 am

I like what you've done with the front intake holes. I've been meaning to do the same thing to mine (need to order a new dremel though).
Thanks :) It's been a fun project. Not sure if it will ever be done ...

As to opening up the front I used a 32 tooth hacksaw blade. Scribe a line to follow first so it comes out all tidy! Low tech and a heck of alot quieter than a Dremel.

Happy hacking

Will

tkortens
Friend of SPCR

Post by tkortens » Thu Apr 17, 2003 7:05 pm

Thanks for this really great information - you've been really diligent!

You mention starting over with another case - which sort of makes sense seeing as you changed the PSU which comes with the Sonata.

Which case would you go to now ...

The acousticase is currently on the top of my list ... but the Neo Classic may be a better choice ...?

I'd appreciate your and other opinions.
Thanks again,
tk

Will35

Post by Will35 » Sat Apr 19, 2003 5:38 am

You mention starting over with another case - which sort of makes sense seeing as you changed the PSU which comes with the Sonata.

Which case would you go to now ...
My pleasure Tkortens. In regards to what case I'd choose next time it would depend on whether or not I used the Fortron 120 PSU. The Fortron seems to provide plenty of exhaust in my system without the use of an additional exhaust fan for my use. So I would consider any decently made case that had a 120mm fan in front of the HD cage, grommetted HD mounts, a removable panel on the backside of the mobo and a door over the optical drives. Were I to use one of the Silenx PSUs (they are looking mighty interesting) I would want to have a case w/ the same specs plus a 120mm eshaust fan. At this point my "dream case" would be the 3700 from Antec in good ol' beige less the standard PSU.

Give Katana Man's recent review a look... he put together a very well thought out system.

Happy Silencing

Will

tkortens
Friend of SPCR

Post by tkortens » Sat Apr 19, 2003 11:00 am

Hi Will - thanks for your comments - and ref to Katana man's great article
which I had read BTW - and also found very interesting.

I am a little confused by the fact that the final front on photo of Katana Man's completed box has no front cover over the optical drives ...

And the Antec, of course does have a door ... as you state.

So I am specifically confused by why Katana man chose a modded Antec which lacks the door .... (or did he remove the door for the photo?)

The Acousticase products also lack a front door (and the GMC Neo Classic)
The new Lian-Li aluminium box does have a door - but much smaller fans ...

No such thing as perfect huh ..... :)
Thanks,
Tony

Katana Man
Patron of SPCR

Post by Katana Man » Sat Apr 19, 2003 3:01 pm

Actually, the D8000, Macase GALAXY II, and Antec SLK3700, are all based on the CompuCase LX-6A19.

The guts are the same in each, it's the outside that varies slightly. Refer to this post if you are looking for cases with 120mm holes.