All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Noiseblocker PC Case Noise Dampening Kit Review
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 12:54 am 

http://www.icrontic.com/?action=article&id=415&page=1

What do the big guys think :?: :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 2:44 am 
*Lifetime Patron*

Good read....basically I've done the same thing using a variety of materials on an Antec2600. I think the particular case you start with, plays a big part in your final result. For instance, having a padded door covering the drives is a big help to quieting the whole project. Amazing the amount of noise escaping around the edges of all the front mounted drives. I used thin felt strips to seal the edges....even then you can hear a noise reduction when you close the case door.

The inside of my case is stuffed with padding (the pillow effect). And like the article my temps went up only a little bit......but the overall noise levels were certainly reduced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 10:06 am 
Patron of SPCR

I have a similar combo material in my Antec case from Coolputer (www.coolputer.fi).

Pros:
+ Significant reduction in vibration based noise
+ Decent dampening of other type of noise

Cons:
- Aluminium lining is conductive and may cause problems if you place components near the aluminium surfaces
- Aluminium also reflects sound and doesn't absorb it. I think it is silly to put aluminium folio as the outermost layer on a sound dampening material
- Causes the case temperature to rise easily another 5-10 degrees centigrade on the long run. That is if you run more than 4 hourse straight. Case temp increase depends quite a lot on your air intake and to some extent air exhaust. With no intake fan and only exhaust fan, the temp rise can indeed be 10 degrees Celsius.

Would I buy this again? Yes, but I'd buy another material that doesn't have aluminium folio on it and I'd probably buy a professional / tested dampening material, even if it cost an arm and a leg.

regards,
Halcyon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 10:19 pm 
Patron of SPCR

I'm not sure I believe the 2-3 increase in temp. Maybe if you run for only 2 hours, but I believe the temp increase is can be easily 5 degrees or more if you run 8 hours straight minimum or 24/7.

regards,
Halcyon