New P150 build buzzy plus other issues

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Mandarb

New P150 build buzzy plus other issues

Post by Mandarb » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:37 pm

<delurk>
I've been a long time reader of SPCR and have now built 3 systems based on what I've read here. So first, a very big thank you to all for amazing advice and discussion.

My latest build is a P150 with an 8800GTX, an Abit IP35 Pro, and an E6700, all bought new off NewEgg. A high powered gaming rig in other words. :)

Now, two issues. I have a horrible buzzing/whine (a lot like crickets on a hot summer day) when running intense 3D graphics. I mean the 'leave your ear ringing' type of sound. When I fire up the rthdribl demo the sound starts right away. If I click a menu the sound stops instantly. As soon as I release the menu it starts back up. If I change the mulitsample settings the sound tonals change. Specifically, 16x makes a really strange warbling/buzzing. When I take the side off and hunt the sound down, I'm almost positive it's coming from the power supply. I have a revision A4 with a little blue dot. Anyone have any ideas on how I can tame/eliminate the buzzing?

The second issue is that I definitely got the rubber o-rings, not the new fabric-reinforced elastic rings.

Did I get a bum case? I can't RMA it because of the notch for the GTX, but I don't want to have to spend a bunch of money on a new power supply.

Overall I really like the case, very easy to tuck all the wires into nooks and crannies out of the airflow. The only physical problem I had was notching the drive bay for the GTX. This is my first PCIe graphics card, and I didn't realize that the PCIe slot was not the topmost slot. So, I have an, erm, extended notch... No biggie.

[ Edit: I just realized that when I plugged in the two 4-pin molex to 6-pin adapter for the graphics card, I plugged them both into the same dedicated lead from the power supply. Should I feed each half of the 6-pin from different connectors to the power supply? Could shifting around the PCIe connectors to a different slot on the power supply make any difference? ]

Thanks,
Omen

MikeC
Site Admin

Re: New P150 build buzzy plus other issues

Post by MikeC » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:55 pm

Mandarb wrote:The second issue is that I definitely got the rubber o-rings, not the new fabric-reinforced elastic rings.

[ Edit: I just realized that when I plugged in the two 4-pin molex to 6-pin adapter for the graphics card, I plugged them both into the same dedicated lead from the power supply. Should I feed each half of the 6-pin from different connectors to the power supply? Could shifting around the PCIe connectors to a different slot on the power supply make any difference? ]

Thanks,
Omen
Ask Antec to send you the new rings; they will.

Different connectors might make a difference. Worth trying.

BTW, are you positive it's the PSU? And does it make the noise in anything other than a stress program? If so, does it matter?

_MarcoM_

Post by _MarcoM_ » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:23 am

MikeC wrote:
Ask Antec to send you the new rings; they will.
Sorry for the thread hijacking :oops:
I'm from Italy, do they will send new rings to me, too? Or is only for USA or a particular nation? And, finally, where can i ask?

jaldridge6

Post by jaldridge6 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:28 am

Mandarb: The buzzing is most likely your PSU. a lot of newer PSUs these days seem to have that. I am still looking for one that doesn't.

_MarcoM_

Post by _MarcoM_ » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:23 am

jaldridge6 wrote:Mandarb: The buzzing is most likely your PSU. a lot of newer PSUs these days seem to have that. I am still looking for one that doesn't.
My enermax coolergiant 600W doesn't. I see there is a 480W version, too. I'm looking for a decent replacement for mine PS, too. Maybe i'll give a try to the coolergiant or to the noisetaker II.

Mandarb

Post by Mandarb » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:23 am

MikeC wrote: Ask Antec to send you the new rings; they will.
Anyone in particular I should contact, or just the generic 800 support number? Also, is there any way to get another of the PCIe power cables so I don't have to use the molex adapter?
MikeC wrote: Different connectors might make a difference. Worth trying.

BTW, are you positive it's the PSU? And does it make the noise in anything other than a stress program? If so, does it matter?
It happens to a lesser extent with any high stress game. I bought this card specifically because it does so well with Oblivion, and it buzzes there, not quite as loud as with the stress program, but still way too loud. This isn't the quiet 'you have to put your ear to the case to hear it' kind of buzz, but the 'dentist drill you can hear through a closed door down the hall' kind of buzz.

As far a being sure it is the PSU, I can't be totally, 100% sure because it is a hard sound to isolate. I tried stopping all the fans, and it's not those. I moved my head all around the different components and it seemed to be loudest right in front of the internal vents of the PSU.

I will try moving the connections around to different connectors.

Does anyone know if I need to plug in the motherboard 4-pin PCIe molex since I'm already connecting 2 6-pin connectors straight to the card?[/b]

BIONIC_EARS

Post by BIONIC_EARS » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:17 pm

I know exactly what you're talking about with the rthdribl buzzing. The first test of 3dmark03 offers a whole other level of aural insanity.

In my case, the cause was a Corsair HX620. I swapped it with an Enermax Infiniti 720 and the noises are all but gone.

Edit: Shifting around the power connectors in an effort to ease the load distribution won't make any difference.

JoeWPgh
Friend of SPCR

Post by JoeWPgh » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:12 pm

Here's something stupid, but completely free to try. Try tightening the screws that attach the PSU.

I have a Sonata II with a stock PSU that developed a nasty buzz/hum after about 2 months. It was actually difficult to isolate the source of the noise, because it seemed to be coming from everywhere, yet no component seemed to be making a similar noise or vibration on it's own. The PSU in particular didn't feel loose, nor could I feel significant vibration from it. The buzz wasn't constant, but I'm not certain that it was load related either. At any rate, simply tightening the PSU mounting screws (which were installed at the factory) eliminated the problem completely.

I always try the free solutions first. On the rare occasions when they work, it makes my week.

oldabelincoln

Post by oldabelincoln » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:55 pm

The surest way to isolate the problem is to remove the PSU from the case, reconnect things and fire it up. You won't have any problem isolating the noise if it comes from the PSU, which seems likely.

Mandarb

Post by Mandarb » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:12 am

BIONIC_EARS: good to know it isn't just me. Guess I'll have to swap it out for something else. :(

And just for the record, shifting the power connectors did nothing...

JoeWPgh: I noticed the screws were loose when I put the system together. I will double check, but I am pretty sure I tightened them.

oldabelincoln: Good call, I will test it that way.

Anyone know of a good, quiet power supply that Frys sells so I can drive over and pick one up.

oldabelincoln

Post by oldabelincoln » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:24 pm

What you have described sounds to my uneducated (in power supply design) ear like the noise an MRI makes (I've had quite a few MRIs).

If you do trace the noise to the PSU, you may well need the advice of someone seriously into PSU design, because the issue is not just finding a "good" PSU, but finding one with an internal design suitable to the task.

I suggest nailng down the source of the noise before buying anything new. It could be something other than the PSU, although most of us will be surprised if that is the case.
Last edited by oldabelincoln on Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AntecRep
-- Vendor --

Post by AntecRep » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:21 pm

For European support it's probably easiest to go through the online form.

http://www.antec.com/EUnewticket.html

cyberspyder

Post by cyberspyder » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:26 am

My guess is the mobo.

slippyduck

Post by slippyduck » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:16 am

Isn't it the PSU being overstressed for want of a better word? Can a 430W PSU power an 8800GTX? I have a P150 but the most I'd consider sticking in there is a 7900 series...

continuum
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by continuum » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:05 am

Not at all, the rig he describes should only have the PSU loaded to 65-70% or so, tops. It has 384W available across the +12v rails (32A), and the 8800GTX is accounting for 10A or so, the CPU is maybe 7A... plenty of capacity to go around.

Mandarb

Post by Mandarb » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:29 pm

continuum wrote:Not at all, the rig he describes should only have the PSU loaded to 65-70% or so, tops.
I plugged it into a Kill-A-Watt meter and the very highest I could make it go was 330 watts at the wall. That's with ORTHOS running on both cores and 3DMark07 running at 1600x1200 with full AA. The Feature Test: Pixel Shader maxed out the watts by about 15 over the rest of the tests. With just CPU maxed it draws about 240 watts, and idle about 174.

My CPU temps max at 52C, and the graphics card core at 86C.

Overall, except for the power supply issue, I am very happy with this rig. It is much quieter than the box it replaces (and that was built to be quiet at the time).

I haven't taken it apart yet to determine if it is the power supply, I will post an update when I do.

Mandarb

Final status

Post by Mandarb » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:28 pm

I actually tried the power supply from a different P150 and had the same issue with that one, so I purchased a Corsair HX520. When I plugged it in outside the case and listened carefully I could still hear some buzzing, but not nearly as bad as the original PS. Since I put it back in the case I have not been able to hear any buzzing, so problem solved. :)

I will hang onto the original P150 power supply and try using it in my next Linux box build. That machine should draw significantly less power so I am hoping I will never hit the buzzy stage.

Thanks all for your input!