HDD silencers for a WD2500AAKS?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

wanger

HDD silencers for a WD2500AAKS?

Post by wanger » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:38 pm

Hi there,

I apologise if this has been addressed elsewhere, but what's the opinion on HDD silencers like the 'Scythe Quiet Drive' or the Xilence equivalent?

I can't seem to find much discussion of them on this site, or a good comparison of them anywhere. It would be for a WD2500AAKS in a Sonata III case, although I'm not massively happy with it, thinking about upgrading to a P180/P182 with a different PSU. Are these enclosures worthwhile things to use or am I better off saving my money and upgrading to a different case/HDD? Is there a particular model that stands out?

It's be great if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks very much,

Ian.

FartingBob
Patron of SPCR

Post by FartingBob » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:58 pm

They are pointless IMO. It doesnt stop vibrations (they are hardmounted and may in fact make vibrations worse), and modern drives are much quieter in seeks than they used to be. They can still help in some cases, but the cost makes it a bad idea.

nyu3

Post by nyu3 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:09 am

I highly recommend the Scythe Quiet Drive if the WD drive is currently the loudest component in your setup.

My WD2500KS had clearly audible seeks and airborn noise even when suspended in the Antec Solo (it can be heard over 2x ~600rpm Scythe S-Flex fans + 1x ~800rpm Nexus 80mm fan).

Once I put the WD2500KS inside the Scythe QuietDrive, the seek noise and airborn noise was practically gone. The difference was huge. The whiny sound before is basically muted.

However, it is important to note that the QD actually amplifies vibration. So, either suspend the QD or rest it on foam. Also, the cooling gel is very effective, and my hard drive stays under 47c inside the QD, without any direct air flow.