Couple of Questions

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

JPS

Couple of Questions

Post by JPS » Fri May 02, 2003 1:32 pm

Hi all,

Been lucking here since the beginning. Finally have the money to do some of the projects I envisioned for my rig. Before going forward, I do have a few questions:

1) When isolating my fans, does it matter whether I use rubber grommets or fan isolators rom Silicon Acoustics? I would assume they accomplish the same thing but do not know for sure

2) I am very much in favor of the D8000 case - it has just about every feature I want. But, it doesn't look like you can remove the case top and bottom. Does anyone know of ATX cases, with 120mm intake & exhausts, that allow removal of case tops and bottoms? Asking because I want to paint the inside of the case and it would make the project much easier.

3) Papst vs. Panaflo. My current system uses all Panaflo's. I have been looking into the Papst 80mm and 120mm fans they seem to offer slightly better performance. I have access to some of these fairly cheap and want to know if the increase CFM on the specs sheets would make that much difference? Anyone done comaprisons between Panaflo L1A's and Papst fans?

I know I have other questions, but I cannot remember them at the moment. Will update when I do...

Thanks in advance fro your replies... :D

Katana Man
Patron of SPCR

Post by Katana Man » Fri May 02, 2003 1:55 pm

1. Fan isolators are better than grommets. Even if the grommets were made from that same material as the E.A.R. fan isolators, the answer would still the same.

Why? Because grommets are used in conjunction with metal screws. Even though you may be using multiple grommets, the shaft of the metal screw can touch the fan and the case hole. This will pass the vibrations.

Theoretically, there is a slight chance that grommets would actually isolate some vibrations if the shaft of the 4 screws is perfectly centered and not touching the fan or the case hole. However, in order for this to happen, the screws would have to be tightened down to the point where the positioning would never change. Having it this tight is also taking away the ability for the rubber to do much vibration absorption.

And that my friends, is why the E.A.R. fan isolators are superior. Not only do they separate the fan from touching the case, but the mounting shaft is not metal.

2. Correct, the D8000 has 3 of the sides rivited down. I suppose you could drill out the rivits, but I'm not sure how you'd re-attach it. For $90 more, you can get the GlobalWin YCC-61F1. Now that case is sweet. Removable sides too.

3. I have both Panaflos and Papst fans. Both are good choices. However I love Papst much more. They are better balanced and quieter. Most people come to the same conclusion: Can you justify the price for a slightly better fan? Directron now has the Papst 120mm's back in stockat $20. Whereas the Panaflo 120mm L1A is only $15. The L1A is also 38mm thick. To me, it's a no brainer. I just ordered 2 more Papst fans. When building a new computer, $10 more isn't going to kill you. That just my opinion.

JPS

Post by JPS » Fri May 02, 2003 5:22 pm

Well I am glad to see Katana Man is not shy in is replies :lol:

I totally see your point - but what about gromets that cover the hole as well so the screw shaft never touches metal? I have found some that you install into the mounting hole so that both sides of the whole have a pad/gromet and the hole itself is sleeved in material so that there is no metal to metal contact anywhere.

Here is another thought then, what about using fan isolators to attach PSU fans - anyone tried that? Does it work well? If you are going to do one, might as well do them all I suppose...
Last edited by JPS on Fri May 02, 2003 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aphonos » Fri May 02, 2003 5:35 pm

JPS wrote:Well I am glad to see Katana Man is not shy in is replies :lol:

Here is another thought then, what about using fan isolators to attach PSU fans - anyone tried that? Does it work well? If you are going to do one, might as well do them all I suppose...
It's been done. Noise improvement depends upon the PSU and its fan, but it should make a difference in all but the most undervolted fans. Check out McMaster-Carr catalog page 1212 for a bulk order of these isolators (item # 5801k6).

JPS

Post by JPS » Fri May 02, 2003 6:27 pm

aphonos

Thanks much - just ordered some!