Antec 1200 Case

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Antec 1200 Case

Post by andyb » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:42 pm

I stumbled upon this HUGE beast of a case whilst trying to find out more info about the Fusion Max. You will understand my surprise when I gazed upon this monster of a computer case.

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=10161&page=1

Some of you will be wondering if I have posted this in the wrong forum and that I am a secret howling fan fanatic - I am not, but I do remember various people seeing potential in the "Gaming 900" where I saw no potential at all.

My thought on the first picture (in the above link) and the following piece of text that is perfectly worded.

"The name pretty much gives the game away, as the Twelve Hundred packs in 12 bays, with three modular cages offering a total of nine 3.5in drives to be mounted. What you can't see are the three (dust-filtered) 120mm intake fans directly in front of the cages, and we're told that mass-production Twelve Hundreds will feature bezel-mounted knobs to manually adjust the respective fans' speed from 1,000RPM to 2,000RPM. "

Silent server......... Need I say more, well I'm going to anyway.

If the drives are quiet enough to start with, and the "server" is in a decent location for noise avoidance (not near you, the best thing for any server) this case could be brilliant, no doubt it will come with soft silicone gromets for the drives, and could end up being a BlueFront favourite as it is ideally suited for positive pressure.

Considering the massive cost difference between 500GB and 1000GB HDD's, this could re-define mass storage on the cheap, its just like the CoolerMaster Stacker range - but with one massive difference, Antec like making quiet cases and really like silicone grommets.

Andy

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:26 am

Its been 4 days, is no-one on SPCR interested in such a beastie.

Andy

Alex

Post by Alex » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:56 am

I am sure some gamers and low temperature freaks here like this beast. :)

OK once equipped with 2.5" drives, fanless PSU + gfx card and if you got lots of space.

This is the opposite of the laptop with WiFi or Turbo 3G trend (portable) but that seems to be all right for gamers.

Thank you Andy, please keep posting. :D

shadestalker

Post by shadestalker » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:06 pm

I find myself trying to understand if it's a server case or a gamer case. It seems it's trying to be both.

Server - EATX, lots of drive bays, lots of cooling

Gamer - water cooling ports, front panel I/O, windowed side panel, lots of cooling

The only thing both camps are likely to care about is the number of cooling fans available. No gamer boards I know of are EATX, and no server admin should care to have a giant window in the case (I'd prefer not to have one.)

Is that a reset button I see, not recessed and just next to a USB port? Just like the Coolermaster. Argh.

How to give this case unique appeal? Add room for a second power supply and make it able to support dual DTX / mATX boards! :)

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:29 pm

I find myself trying to understand if it's a server case or a gamer case. It seems it's trying to be both.

Server - EATX, lots of drive bays, lots of cooling

Gamer - water cooling ports, front panel I/O, windowed side panel, lots of cooling
Agreed, but so was the P180, maximum cooling (gamer), minimum noise (Silence fanatics like us), and often it managed both at the same time very well.

Ignoring the bling factor, its a server case, and due to its design it could be a quiet (ish) server case.

Andy