Silentium case review:

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

rei

Silentium case review:

Post by rei » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:49 pm

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:59 pm

The "T2 Eco 80" is little changed from the original T2, which we reviewed a few years ago. Bit-tech's review is unrealistic. It's really not for a gaming PC with a 130TDP processor. We used a 70W CPU and integrated graphics, and cooling was very good. I'm sure it would have cooled with with a 50~70W GPU, too.

But the quality of the case was not great. Weak plastics, some poor ergonomics, and in the final analysis, just not quite good enough...

alecmg

Post by alecmg » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:51 am

bit-tech fails to say WHAT exactly was making noise. For all I know they have a turbine on their mega-pentium. Did they hear HDD? Did arctic fans spin faster under load? Zero useful info.
The other part missing is the assembled system fit pictures. Very curious about that.
No word about PSU either except for sarcastic remarks.
And the grades? Build quality 2/10? Are you serious?

Still thinking of getting it for my new build. Wolfdale 8400 and 3870, cool enough.

FartingBob
Patron of SPCR

Post by FartingBob » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:35 am

I dunno, it seems they've tried to be different for the sake of it with the PSU placement (with an external fan??) and HDD mounting idea (multiple HDD's on top of each other held together with velcro?). Looks like a rev 2 might be in order.

Tkpenalty

Post by Tkpenalty » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:00 am

Actually, I would say that the reviewer just did a very unprofessional review.
The silentium is MEANT to work with a set of hardware. Example, AcceleroS1, and a tower cooler, that faces in the CORRECT direction.

They ignored that.

sheninat0r

Post by sheninat0r » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:06 pm

They didn't IGNORE anything... they used the same hardware as in all of their other case reviews. You can't fault them for not reviewing the case like YOU wanted them to, with the hardware that YOU think works - they have used the same test system in all of their case reviews to give a pretty good idea of how each case performs cooling-wise. I think Bit-Tech did a review consistent with their standards, which I find no fault in.

alecmg

Post by alecmg » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:05 am

Yes, but they criticize, for example, HDD placement, but fail to prove its bad either for noise or temps. Words are worth 0.

JLee

Post by JLee » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:25 am

Here’s how it works. You take a hard drive, you surround it in sponge (or, if you have two hard drives you just put them on top of each other with nothing in between) screw a cheap heatsink to one side and then wrap it up in Velcro. Literally, that’s it. This means your hard drives are never going to have any proper cooling and will be packed in, surrounded by sponge, vibrating loose the one strip of Velcro supposed to keep them secure.

OK, we all want cases which are quiet – but the idea here is just the tiniest bit ludicrous.
Did anyone else stop reading after that? I lol'd a little inside when I read that..

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:04 am

When I see these cases, they remind me of my own setups with the bottom-to-top airflow..... and there's nothing wrong there, except for the execution of the technique. These cases have been around for a long time with very little change.....and very little interest apparently.

Makes you wonder what they're thinking about. I've been temped to buy one and fix the problems..... :lol:

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:07 am

Maybe somebody send me one as a sample.... :D

af9pk

Post by af9pk » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:35 pm

Have posted my impressions of the case on this thread:

viewtopic.php?p=404574#404574