Lian Li PC60USB case, sides rattling - PLEASE help!

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

silentlover

Lian Li PC60USB case, sides rattling - PLEASE help!

Post by silentlover » Sat May 24, 2008 1:37 am

Hello everybody!

I have now worked for a long time on getting my old Athlon XP2400+ to a point where it is quiet and nice. I have exchanged the powersupply for a Xilence Redwing 420 Watt, I've put in Xilence Redwing fans front, rear and top, I've put in Acousti standard dampening material in the case - and now finally I put in a Nexus AXP-3200 HSF (and put a resistor on the fan) and now all IS very nice.... however I DO have one issue that I have discovered (and only now that the rest of the computer feels quieter...)

The left side of the case RATTLES sometimes and if you push on it it rattles (it seems to be lose), same thing on the other side of the case, but still not as bad. Seems several people have had this issue with the Lian Li cases...

Now my question is - has ANYONE managed to FIX the rattling?

Thank you for your help and assistance.

mentawl

Post by mentawl » Sat May 24, 2008 2:25 am

A few layers (as many as are necessary) of tape on the edges of the case where it contacts the side panel should get rid of any rattle =)

trident

Post by trident » Sat May 24, 2008 8:40 am

You did not post your location, if you are in the USA try some UHMW polyethylene film from McMaster Carr [ #7344A31 ] 0.012" x 1" x 5yd.
It is wide enough to roll over to the inside edge and isolate the tabs on the side panel as well, very slippery so the panel will open easy. Clean bond area with isopropyl alcohol for best results. One roll was enough for both sides of my PC-7 Plus II, $10 well spent.

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Sat May 24, 2008 5:00 pm

Your best bet would be to remove the sources of vibration. Decouple all your HDDs from the case and put as many fans as you can on rubber mounts, if you live in US, you can also buy Dynamat from CC and apply it to the side panels. Chances are after you've done it all your rattle should be completely gone.

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Wed May 28, 2008 6:50 am

You'll also benefit from mass-loading the side panels. Roofing tape, Dynamat-type products & various items from McMaster all work well.