Antec Skeleton... and P183 & Sonata Elite

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

m^2

Post by m^2 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:48 am

Matija wrote:All that the P184 needs is a window and a pre-installed neon, and we're good to go.

The new Sonata would be nice if it had the Solo's HDD mounting. This is just horribly bad.

Disappointing. It's hard finding decent computer cases, and Antec certainly isn't helping - as time goes by, they screw things up more and more.
Agree.
They spoiled the most beautiful case on the market. :(
Luminair wrote:The industry is clearly moving toward mini-itx. You can fit almost everything a modern PC needs onto a mini-itx board. You CAN fit everything you need onto a mini-atx board, which is why the industry is moving to mini-itx instead -- mini-atx is too big.
Don't know about the industry, but I wouldn't buy a mini itx board for my main computer because it lacks expandability. DTX is much better, 2 slots are enough for almost everybody. But, even though now I don't need it, I'd rather get 3-4 offered by micro atx even though it's so much bigger than mini itx/mini dtx.
Luminair wrote:If you need more convincing, look at this and consider what it cannot accommodate: http://www.commell.com.tw/Product/SBC/L ... 78-3DB.jpg

High end CPU, RAM, video onboard with pci-e 16x expansion, storage, peripherals.
It cannot accommodate 2 from the following: graphics/sound/TV/RAID controller/wireless network/Firewire card.

Johann1710

Post by Johann1710 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:07 am

As Antec becomes the 'default' choice of case for many users, they will inevitably struggle to keep everyone happy. I think they try to be "all things to all people": silencers, gamers, overclockers, HTPC builders as well as your average everyday computer user;--without yielding too much to any one group. This happens when a company/brand expands and needs to maintain and increase its market share. Too much emphasis on one user group might alienate another, and those users will look elsewhere.

For me, Antec (cases especially) are a 'safe choice' for several reasons: they are built strong, designed well without being gaudy, have decent customer support and warranty, well sourced at retail level, relatively affordable, and above all, leaps and bounds better than your cheap as chips beige/black/rainbow coloured box with 700W OEM PSU included for $30.

I am currently in the process of building a new PC (have been for the last two years actually!) so I regularly use SPCR as my first port of call when researching "inaudibly quiet" solutions. These new Antec cases, however, don't really hit the mark, IMO. Solo and 180/182 were landmark cases and I don't see many current owners upgrading. Perhaps they will keep waiting for the "next great case"--as all of us do :)
Skeleton is just too different for the time being; perhaps the testers/modders will form the initial interested group or those who just want something different for a conversation starter. "Er, umm, check out my new computer" :?

I'm surprised that some people actually find opening a case door too hard to power on their computer. I shouldn't be though; we live in a "right now" "gotta have it all at once at my fingertips" society where milliseconds difference is just too much. I still use an Antec 1080AMG case I bought 5 years ago (albeit soon to be retired) and I lock/unlock the door each time I use the PC. It's a token form of security, but it's there nonetheless for that purpose. It takes all but a couple of seconds to go through the process. Sigh. I guess it's just too hard for some.

Anyway, glad to post on SPCR finally (been visiting the site since 2003!). Hope I can contribute more in future in my own very limited capacity. I've learnt a lot about silent computing thanks to the SPCR community.

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:54 am

Johann1710 wrote:I'm surprised that some people actually find opening a case door too hard to power on their computer.
Who said it's too hard? Certainly not me so please don't twist my words An inconvenience though? Yes. Especially considering as this case is so large I have to sit it on my shelf sideways and the door opens away from me so is actually quite difficult to access.

If you are trying to improve a product, especially when you're revising it and re-launching it as Antec are, it's all about making every small improvement possible. This is my suggestion for one. The P180 doesn't even have a lock so it couldn't really be described as being behind the door for security in this case. No pun intended.

Perhaps you're too paranoid if you feel the need to lock your PC every time you leave it? Or maybe you live with flatmates you can't trust? I don't know but I'm not about to judge you for it and it'd be nice if you could do likewise.

I do agree with you that Antec can't cater for everyone at the same time.... at least not with the same case :) Maybe they should have models with user-friendly product names, each catering for different markets.

Johann1710

Post by Johann1710 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:25 am

Who said it's too hard? Certainly not me so please don't twist my words An inconvenience though? Yes.
My apologies. I didn't mean to 'twist words'. Perhaps just a poor choice of words on my part. :oops:
If you are trying to improve a product, especially when you're revising it and re-launching it as Antec are, it's all about making every small improvement possible. This is my suggestion for one.
I totally agree. Too often though, improvements made by manufacturers are 'window dressing' to please the majority, rather than rectifiying every annoyance and/or suggestions that users have.
Perhaps you're too paranoid if you feel the need to lock your PC every time you leave it? Or maybe you live with flatmates you can't trust? I don't know but I'm not about to judge you for it and it'd be nice if you could do likewise.
When I had my PC in my own room, I never used to lock it, but, due to renovations and reshuffling of furniture in my house, I had to set it up in the living room. As we sometimes get guests including children coming in when I am not around, I felt it necessary to lock it up when I'm not using it. Curious little fingers can wreak havoc with technology. :( It is kind of annoying, but I just got used to locking/unlocking it out of habit. Maybe it's ingrained in me from having to open and close up shop when I used to work in retail. :?
I do agree with you that Antec can't cater for everyone at the same time.... at least not with the same case Maybe they should have models with user-friendly product names, each catering for different markets.
Perhaps there should be a case manufacturer offering a DIY case option for those that way inclined. Order the parts and panels you need and put the case together yourself. Could this be possible? Personally, I would still buy a ready-made chassis but some people might be interested in such an idea.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:51 am

Perfect case would kill creative modding...

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:35 pm

As far as the P182 goes, I haven't seen any creative mods other then the standard mods: ditch the default fans, cut the fan grills, HDD suspension, lose the plastic front grills. In relation to "SPCR standards" what else is there to do...?

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:11 am

Ductings, new ways of creating suspendion. DIY HDD dampeners all the creativiness the SPCR are famous of.

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:24 am

Johann1710 wrote:Perhaps there should be a case manufacturer offering a DIY case option for those that way inclined. Order the parts and panels you need and put the case together yourself. Could this be possible? Personally, I would still buy a ready-made chassis but some people might be interested in such an idea.
It does make sense. We're a perfect example. I want a power button that's completely exposed and easily accessible while you want a PC that has a lockable door. They couldn't be any more opposite. Otherwise, we could be after the exact same thing, and seeing as we're both on SPCR you can imagine what that might be! Perhaps swappable parts where you just buy the parts you want?

Very unlikely but would be nice to see.

Compddd

Post by Compddd » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:35 am

When will the P183 be available MikeC? I want one, my P180 Mini can't accomodate a Thermalright HR-03 GTX on my GTX 280 vid card :(

Compddd

Post by Compddd » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:10 am

Anyone know about the P183?

Emyr

Post by Emyr » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:22 am

P183: Ugly as sin.
Skeleton: Attention seeking prototype.

Sonata... Actually quite nice :) The article mentioned the Sonata and Solo shared a lot of structural stuff, so I shall look forwards to a new Solo: Sonata engineering + P180/P182 styling = happytimes.

Compddd

Post by Compddd » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:25 am

Why does everyone say the P183 is ugly? It's nice looking like the P180 Mini and is basically a bigger version of it!

thejamppa

Post by thejamppa » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:02 pm

Compddd wrote:Why does everyone say the P183 is ugly? It's nice looking like the P180 Mini and is basically a bigger version of it!
Beauty is in eye of beholder. I don't think P183 is ugly. Not by a longshot. Its not that minimalist as P182 was... and change could be rather drastic for some peoples. However everyone has right to have an opinion and voice it ^^

Compddd

Post by Compddd » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:17 pm

It's the changes on the inside that I like the most and I think count the most. As well as the better air flow from the new front door.

Emyr

Post by Emyr » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:32 am

Compddd wrote:Why does everyone say the P183 is ugly? It's nice looking like the P180 Mini and is basically a bigger version of it!
Whoever said the Mini was aesthetically pleasing? It seems like one guy made the original sleek design, then some other guy came along and said "needs some holes, what shape shall I make them?" without actually considering whether it looked right.

The added holes don't echo the lines of any other aspects of the case.

Compddd

Post by Compddd » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:53 pm

The holes do address the problems of bad airflow in the case though!

Compddd

Post by Compddd » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:53 pm

Do any Antec reps post or lurk here? That could give an eta for P183 release date?

Compddd

Post by Compddd » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:25 pm

Guess no one knows :(

Tak

Post by Tak » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:05 pm

From email enquiry:
Antec Sales wrote:Looks like late October at this point. Production has not begun though, so if there are any problems in early production that need to be corrected that could delay it further.
(P183)

Compddd

Post by Compddd » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:02 am

Thanks alot Tak! You rule!

Kubiekdriehoekje

Post by Kubiekdriehoekje » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:04 am

shathal

Post by shathal » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:48 am

Tak wrote:From email enquiry:
Antec Sales wrote:Looks like late October at this point. Production has not begun though, so if there are any problems in early production that need to be corrected that could delay it further.
(P183)
Thanks Tak - that's great info ... might be a bit late for me potentially (so I might go with a P182) but we'll see ... :).

Question of course is whether this is "worldwide" or how long it would take to be available in the UK... (or anywhere in Europe). :)

Compddd

Post by Compddd » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:45 am

Any new updates on the P183?

Compddd

Post by Compddd » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:24 am

Antec Rep, is the P183 still headed for an October release? Any other details you can share? :)

TD22057

Post by TD22057 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:39 pm

Isn't anyone else curious what this means:
2) the mounting platform for the PSU has been lowered (for reasons that cannot be divulged at this time)
What could the reason be? And, more importantly, why can't it be divulged?

chahahc

Post by chahahc » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:09 pm

Lord have mercy.....It has arrived .......:?

The Skeleton

walle

Post by walle » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:20 pm

For those who wish to electromagnetically radiate their bodies whilst frying their brains and getting the bonus of the very same functioning as an antenna.

Can barely wait for a customer review, oh my.

:(

mkk

Post by mkk » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:52 am

You could sew together a little skirt for the skeleton rig, using some fabric with interwoven metallic threads. . . . . :wink:

Compddd

Post by Compddd » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:56 am

Any new news on P183?

ekerazha

Post by ekerazha » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:44 am

Compddd wrote:Any new news on P183?
I'm also waiting for Antec P183 (and Intel Core i7).

:D