High-end HTPC Case

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

cyberspyder

High-end HTPC Case

Post by cyberspyder » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:25 am

I would've gotten the Omaura...but I'm a month too late and the only NA distributor disappeared. I don't want the Antec case...looks too 'bulky'...something extremely simple with little to no markings on. Finish has to be something along the lines of a matte (or anodized) black, NOT a brushed finish. Anyone have a Origen AE case?

Brendan

nici

Post by nici » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:13 am

I have a OrigenAE S16V, it's a nice case and the build quality is very good. However the first thing i did was rip out the HDD cage. Well loosen some screws and take it out actually. And then i ripped out the pegs it was fastened to.. :lol:
I have a single WD GP 3,5" drive under the ODD and it runs at 35c pretty constantly with pretty mcuh no airflow. Other components are E8400 and HD4870.
Oh yes, the reason i ripped out the HDD cage is that i wanted room for a 120mm intake fan, can't remember why i wanted that. Probably because of the GPU. Mounting the fan is still very much work in progress. Also, my cat has somehow managed to scratch the screen, or the plastic covering it. No idea how she managed that but she did.. Anyway, nice case and it looks good. My other option was the Zalman HD135, but i liked this one more.

cyberspyder

Post by cyberspyder » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:33 am

The 16V is too 'thick' IMO...If I decide to go the OrigenAE route, it's wither the 14V: http://www.origenae.com/en/htpc_s14v.htm OR the X8 (no specs on it though)...both in black.

Brendan

nici

Post by nici » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:00 pm

I agree that it is on the thick side but i wanted to fit a standard ATX mobo and PSU inside it so it was the samllest case that can accomodate those. The S14 does look better no doubt about that. But the S16 is still pretty damn good looking case :P

gwynethh

Omaura

Post by gwynethh » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:52 pm

I feel your pain. I'd kind of set my sights on the 11 for a fall new HTPC/case. Why does Antec think we need volume control on a PC?

cyberspyder

Re: Omaura

Post by cyberspyder » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:38 pm

gwynethh wrote:I feel your pain. I'd kind of set my sights on the 11 for a fall new HTPC/case. Why does Antec think we need volume control on a PC?
Exactly....but the one that doesn't have it has two optical drives...how often are you going to be copying discs? And since when did hifi equipment come in silver?