Cooler Master 590: Air Duct for VGA

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

gomunkul

Cooler Master 590: Air Duct for VGA

Post by gomunkul » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:56 am

Hell-o!

Does someone has a cooler master 590 case?
and maybe made an air duct for the VGA card? :D

Or maybe someone made an air duct in a similar case?

Please help me in construction of one,
Thank you in advance!

review+pictures:
http://techgage.com/article/cooler_mast ... urion_590/

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:03 pm

well, from your other topic i see that you're going for an ATI HD4850. the cooler itself is two slot isn't it? i don't think it would need a VGA duct in that case. I have a Cooler Master Elite 330, and i run an nVidia 9600GT with a 7v fan with no ducting.

something i would suggest is covering up the side fan areas somehow, as allowing air to enter the case through those holes will disrupt the flow of air. the same with the top 120mm fan holes. they're unnecessary for the average build, and even with a gaming rig, i don't think you'll generate as much heat as that case could move at full potential (but it would be really loud).

if you cover up the holes on the side and top, and you use a Scythe SlipStream fan for exhaust, the only other fan you would need is a CPU fan, which could be run at 7v easily without causing a problem.

^you could set up the case with similar orientation to that, and have great temps from just about anything. there would be almost no difference if you take the 120mm fan out from the front of the case as well.

keeping the filters clean is the only task you'd have to worry about, they collect dust easily. but don't be fooled, dust will still manage to get into your case, so be sure to do a good cleaning from time to time (every month or so...every other month is a stretch, but still within reason).

gomunkul

Post by gomunkul » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:22 pm

Thanks for the replay bonestonne !

I'm thinking about an air duct because I know that 4850 with its stock cooler is a very hot card, and so I'll be fitting a AC ACCELERO S1 to it + 2x Nexus 92mm fans..
the case will ahve 2x Nexus 120mm fans at the top, so all the heat from the card will pass through the cpu cooler, and i like to avoid that..

Any more ideas?

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:29 pm

I've had good results venting my 9600GT through the PSU (click for pic), but a 4850 burns quite a few more watts. Still might be worth a try. My system runs with very little fannage.

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:01 pm

it wont really work that way. the Accelero cannot be mounted so the fins are on the backside of the card, the heat will build up on the back of the card, but its nothing the exhaust fan wont be able to handle.

if you go for ducting it, i'd suggest finding a way to duct the fans around the fins, so that the air exits the case in a similar fashion to a dual slot cooler. this wont be difficult, the Accelero S1 cooler comes with a vented PCI filler to place beneath the card. what you need to do is create small panels (or one large one) that will go from the fins to the PCB of the 4850. do this around all possible areas (carefully i might add) so that when you put the card in, it will duct the air passing through towards the back of the case and outward.

you wont need to worry about having upper fans with it like that, however there is an easy way to prevent dead spots of air building up in the top of the case.

http://img150.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 010hb7.jpg
^that's a large picture of a P182 build by Ash. what i'd suggest you do, is rather than having the top fans in the case, go all the way to the front of the case with foam. heat wont rise past that foam, the exhaust fan will easily get it out of the case.

heat from the back of the 4850 shouldn't be a problem either as long as there's adequate space between the CPU cooler and the fan. roughly one inch, or 2.5cm should be more than enough. in my own tinkering with a ducted exhaust fan, temperatures actually lowered with more space, as a smaller space just caused turbulence (however fans were of different RPM as well as brand and CFM rating).

you don't want to have too many fans (even quiet ones) in top and side holes of a case like this because there's plenty of room for them (making you want to fill in the spaces) and the fact that even a lot of quiet fans add up in noise. the other issue is that the vent holes are a bit more restricted than they appear on the case pictures.

i'm just poking the less-fan-idea because of how open the front panel is. so much air will pass through that grill when the system is on, even with only 2 or 3 fans in the system (my case has 4 fans total, 2x 120mm, 1x92mm and 1x120mm in the PSU, and if you were to put your hand in front of my case [even an inch away] you can feel the cool air entering the system).

gomunkul

Post by gomunkul » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:21 pm

Thank you very much for the comprehensible reply!
i"ll drop the air-duct idea or now, and will see what will happen with build.

average_joe

Post by average_joe » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:34 am

Looks good.