Very attractive and spacious new cases

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

rally

Very attractive and spacious new cases

Post by rally » Wed May 28, 2003 6:44 am

JEN

Post by JEN » Wed May 28, 2003 7:33 am

I have to say, them cases are excellent from inside. Are there any other cases with interiors like these cases, but not as wild from the outside :)

I definitely prefer the case in the second link!

dago
Patron of SPCR

Post by dago » Wed May 28, 2003 7:41 am

don't forget it has already been discussed ([1] [2]) and reviewed (modlabs)

additional tip : no US distributor
Last edited by dago on Wed May 28, 2003 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed May 28, 2003 7:44 am

JEN, this is probably more to your liking. A sample is on the test bench right now. Review in a week or so...

JEN

Post by JEN » Wed May 28, 2003 8:59 am

MikeC wrote:JEN, this is probably more to your liking. A sample is on the test bench right now. Review in a week or so...
You are correct MikeC. I do like that one better, but I think this one is even better :)

I like the Cyber cool because its simple, it has lots of space, and its got they cool drive bay covers to hide your miss-matched optical drives ;)

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed May 28, 2003 9:04 am

JEN, if you examine the details, you'll see the NeoClassic is better set up for airflow & noise. That is a main design goal for this case. The Cybercool case has side cover holes that are not great for noise control, and the vent holes are much more blocked.

JEN

Post by JEN » Wed May 28, 2003 9:13 am

MikeC wrote:JEN, if you examine the details, you'll see the NeoClassic is better set up for airflow & noise. That is a main design goal for this case. The Cybercool case has side cover holes that are not great for noise control, and the vent holes are much more blocked.
Hmm, If only there was a case with the best bits of the NeoClassis and CyberCool. That would be the ideal case, for me at least :D

rally

Post by rally » Thu May 29, 2003 7:55 am

The most striking feature that got me interested in these 2 gmc cases is the the built in HDD selector. I know romtec make one already but to have them built into the cases is just the icing on the cake. Would be great if mike can get one in for a full review:)

timc3

Post by timc3 » Thu May 29, 2003 8:23 am

you've gotta love the strapline under the GM Corporation logo! ;-)

The second one does look smart. Any idea on prices?

Duncan
Friend of SPCR

Re: Very attractive and spacious new cases

Post by Duncan » Thu May 29, 2003 8:26 am

rally wrote:I just stumbled across these new cases:

http://www.gmc.co.kr/english/good_e_no_se.htm
This case looks awfully similar to:

http://www.avgs-tech.co.uk/SCGM03.htm

:)

rally

Post by rally » Thu May 29, 2003 8:51 am

timc3 wrote: Any idea on prices?
I rang the UK distributor yesterday(wednesday) they said the cases don't arrive in the UK until the end of june and hadn't finalised any prices yet.

mudboy

Post by mudboy » Fri May 30, 2003 3:25 am

The GMC site reminds me why I build low-bandwidth web sites.

"76 items remaining" indeed...

Pete

JEN

Post by JEN » Fri May 30, 2003 3:31 am

MikeC wrote:JEN, if you examine the details, you'll see the NeoClassic is better set up for airflow & noise. That is a main design goal for this case. The Cybercool case has side cover holes that are not great for noise control, and the vent holes are much more blocked.
Does the NeoClassic come with the 4 fans?

How does it suck air in, is there an inlet under the case?

rpc180
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by rpc180 » Fri May 30, 2003 5:29 am

The second one does look smart. Any idea on prices?
I checked online a little bit for GMC Trinity. Turns out that Tom's HW Review did a once over for one with a window and estimated the price at $149. The stock window is UGLY.

bowlofrice

Newegg

Post by bowlofrice » Sun Jul 20, 2003 6:53 pm

Newegg actually has a few GMC cases on their site now; do a search for GMC case and they'll come up. They don't seem to be in stock yet, and they list the est. arrival as 7/21/03, which is tomorrow! Maybe someone can finally review one of these babies for us :)

Cheers,
Alan

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Sun Jul 20, 2003 7:06 pm

Regarding the neo classic!

I was a fool! :oops: :cry: Last christmas I wen't over to Korea for holiday/Korean friend visit. I saw the neo classic but I didn't think much of it's look. So I left it at that, I had no idea it was a good case designed for quietness. What did catch my eyes was the flip out internal IDE channel.

I regret it so much now, as I could of bought the case for less than ~£50.

Zilla

Post by Zilla » Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:22 pm

For those in australia, the X21 is available at www.pccasegear.com.au

pccasegear site doesn't seem to be working right now, but from memory the price was aprox AUS$160

Zilla

Post by Zilla » Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:27 pm

oh, one thing that doesn't seem to be on the GNC site, but is on pccasegear, is that the x21 comes with case damping included in the price

Gooserider

Server Cube reccomended....

Post by Gooserider » Mon Aug 04, 2003 11:09 pm

If you want a REALLY spacious case, I'd reccomend a "server cube" style case. They are a bit hard to find, but Servercase.com in CA (a division of KRI) has several.

For those not familiar with the style, a server cube is usually used for servers (suprise) and is great if you have LOTS of drives, or other hardware in your box (I think it's ideal for water cooling) They tend to be shorter than full towers, but much wider, about like two large mini-towers side by side. Usually they are on wheels, as they are heavy and you don't want to move them around otherwise. They are very stable due to their wide and low stance.

The typical layout in a server tower is to have a partition down the center of the case splitting it vertically into two chambers. The left chamber holds the mobo, and possibly some drives (depends on the design) and the right side holds the PSU, and LOTS of external and internal drive bays.

I purchased an AMS CK1100 cube for my current project, and it is the neatest big case I've ever seen. It is almost ideal for really heavy duty watercooling, and I think has good quiet cooling potential. It has dual 120mm fan ports in the back (it comes with one generic 120mm fan) one in each chamber. The front intakes aren't so good in stock form (but that's what they make cutting tools for :D ) but if one wasn't an SPCR person, you could stuff at least 8 80mm screamers into the provided front mounts plus the three generic 80mm's that come with the case. I've cut out one section for a Fedco 2-342 radiator, and plan to put two 120's sucking through it instead.

I don't think it's been posted yet, but I wrote a lengthy review of the case over on Pro-Cooling.com

There is also a good review of the slightly smaller YY Cube case on Pro-Cooling. I think the YY is nice, but nowheres near as good as the CK1100 I purchased.

I'm going to be looking for damping advice, because I know that at least some of the stuff I'm using in this case will be on the loud side. However I'm after a performance box first, with quietness an important but secondary objective.