Stock NSK3480 vs Cooler Master Elite 330/Enermax Pro82+ 385W

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

ist.martin

Stock NSK3480 vs Cooler Master Elite 330/Enermax Pro82+ 385W

Post by ist.martin » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:55 am

I am trying to find the quietest case/PS possible for ~ $100. (It seems that here in Vancouver, we get great local pricing on everything but cases.)

My target is a 20dB system. It will house a G45 ATX (or uATX) mb, C2D e7200, Xigmatek HDT-S1283, 1 or 2 SATA WD GP HD, 1 optical drive, low-level gaming card (eg Asus 8400GS SIlent).

At first, I was assuming I would use a stock Antek NSK3480 with included EarthWatts 380W PS - $100.

But after seeing all the recommendations around here for the Enermax PS, I went looking for a cheaper case that might go with it.

At my local retailer, I found:

Cooler Master Elite 330 - $45
Enermax Pro82+ 385W PS - $70

The CM Elite 330 gets props from at least one regular poster here on SPCR.

I will replace stock case fans with a Scythe SlipStream 800rpm.

I am wondering which one will be quieter? Can either or both get me to the 'truly silent below the desk' level of 20dB? How much noiser is the stock Antec PS than the Enermax?

Thank you.

kaange

Post by kaange » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:49 pm

The CM Elite 330 is a great little case if you run hot components as it can be set up to have a lot of airflow. Compared to the NSK3480, it has many more openings so it will not contain sounds as well and it is fairly flimsy in construction so it may resonate a lot more easily than the NSK3480.

For your proposed setup, I'd stick with the Antec and maybe swap out the PSU fan if you find it noisy.

yamahaSHO

Post by yamahaSHO » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:00 pm

I have an NSK-3480 and it is my quietest case (I build them all quiet). Aside from the PSU fan (swapped Scythe 80mm from MINJA), I only have one 1,000 RPM Scythe 120mm SlipStream in the case (controlled by motherboard).

I have no experience with the other case, however, I have no complaintes about the 3480 (aside from the CPU duct).

ist.martin

Fan swap in PSU?

Post by ist.martin » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:14 pm

How difficult is the fan swap in the stock PSU? Does it void the warranty?

What speed/model Scythe fan should it be replaced with?

Thank you.

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:06 pm

if you go mATX for the motherboard, you would be able to even go for a Cooler Master Elite 340, the mATX version.

as stated, there's no dampening in the case, so it doesn't contain sounds as well as the antec, but if you use a SlipStream fan, even undervolted (say, the 1200rpm @ 7v) you might end up getting better sound properties than with the 800rpm model. the largest hinderence with the Elite cases is the proximity of the exhaust fan to the PSU fan. with newer PSU's that have a 120mm fan blowing upward, turbulence arises from the two fans.

it'll also be quieter if you do not put any fans near the front panel, and if so, 7v or 5v. the noise will come right out of the front panel.

oh, and i'd suggest finding a way to use rubber grommets on the hard drives in the HDD cage. honestly, the difference will be amazing. the case will resonate. a lot. i manged to sandwich some rubber grommets on the mounting holes of the drive, it was a very tight pinch, but even being compressed, there's a major difference in the sound of the drives resonating through the case.

but also watch out for the front panel, the plastic will take an impact, but not for a long time. i had a tab break off, not that it affects anything, but it did break off. it was one of six tabs holding the front panel to the case. as for the tabs holding the bay covers in place, they're very stiff, so i'd say just use care.

do clean the filters often.

hope that helps?

yamahaSHO

Re: Fan swap in PSU?

Post by yamahaSHO » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:17 pm

ist.martin wrote:How difficult is the fan swap in the stock PSU? Does it void the warranty?

What speed/model Scythe fan should it be replaced with?

Thank you.
It is actually VERY easy to swap. If you buy an adapter for the fan to fit the PSU (I can link you if you need), then it is really simple. It WILL void the warranty, however, this is the second one I've done it to and haven't had any issues.

I used the Scythe fan that came with the Mini Ninja as it has a very low starting voltage and is much more quiet than the stock one (less clicking and less whoosh). As far as other options, you'll have to research... I've been more comfortable with the Minja fan.

ist.martin

please link ...

Post by ist.martin » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:21 pm

please link to the adapter. Does it require resoldering, or can everything be screwed or linked using standard connectors?

thanks.

alphabetbackward

Post by alphabetbackward » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:37 pm

I use the same Ninja mini fan on my NSK3480 Earthwatts power supply but I didn't use an adapter.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article83-page1.html

...also, I was too cheap to get an adapter.

yamahaSHO

Re: please link ...

Post by yamahaSHO » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:03 pm

ist.martin wrote:please link to the adapter. Does it require resoldering, or can everything be screwed or linked using standard connectors?

thanks.
http://www.coolerguys.com/32pa.html The one you want is marked with a "D".

The idea of the connector is that you do not have to solder. Just connect and you're done.