SLK3700 120MM fans stock size

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

joem33

SLK3700 120MM fans stock size

Post by joem33 » Thu May 29, 2003 7:55 am

Hello all, I am new to this great site (glad I found it) I just purchased a Antec SLK 3700, and was looking for info on the stock fan size. I do know that it's 120mm, but what is it's other size.. 25mm/32mm/38mm. I apoligize if it's been answered. I did see a post that with the fan brackets they only allow 25MM, is that correct? I know I can remove them an upgarde to a bigger size, but I wanted to be positive as I don't want to use the Stock fan.

mdaniel
Friend of SPCR

Post by mdaniel » Thu May 29, 2003 5:15 pm

The default fan size for the pre-installed 120mm exhaust fan is 120mm x 25mm. The exhaust fan can hold a larger fan, but the optional intake fan will only accept a 120 x 25 w/o modding the case or removing the hard drive rack.

If you want to really quiet the fans, remove the fan cage, drill holes that will line up with a 120mm fan and then use fan isolators to connect the fan to the case w/ minimal vibration transfer. You will have to use the cage or drill new holes. The holes in the case do no match up with a 120mm fan.

Good luck and welcome to the site. I too just found it not long ago.

joem33

Post by joem33 » Fri May 30, 2003 4:10 am

mdaniel,

Thanks for your input. I appreciate your time. You have the enermax adjustable 120. Do you reccomend those? I have always used antec, but never went for a quieter system. Now that I am attempting my fist quiet-pc, and reccomendations I will take... :-)

Thanks again...

mdaniel
Friend of SPCR

Post by mdaniel » Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:55 am

If you're still into overclocking, then I would recommend the Enermax. I too just recently decided heavy OCing wasn't worth the noise, but I'm still mildly OCed. If you are looking for a truly quiet computer and not OCing, then a lot of people like panflos. I hooked a vantec fanmate up to my enermax and dropped it as low as 1200 RPM (no clicking sound). I could not tell the difference in noise between 1200 RPM and 1600 RPM. I don't start to notice the fan until around 1800 RPM, but its still pushing over 50+ cfm at 1600 RPM, which is the factory low setting on my fan. Enermax adjustable fans original only had three speed settings, but the control has been replaced with a completely tunable system. It is the only case fan in my system, and my system stays about 5C over room temp. You can easily feel the air being pulled in through the front vents. I did cut out both stamped fan grills and drilled new holes to mount the Enermax with fan isolators. I had a vantec stealth 120 as an intake, but it added too much noise and the present airflow being pulled into the case is just slightly less than when the stealth was hooked up. I liked the Enermax so much, I got one for my SLK800U heatsink also.

The loudedst thin in my system is either teh HSF or the PSU, but I think it is the psu. I'll be getting an Antec true power in the future, to quiet my case more. If the HSF is the main source of noise then, I can always slow that fan down.

Hope that helps.

joem33

Post by joem33 » Sat Jun 07, 2003 12:05 pm

Thanks for your post. That is great help to me... :-)