Antec Sonata help - mounting fans?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

grambo

Antec Sonata help - mounting fans?

Post by grambo » Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:33 pm

Hello,

I'm having another few little problems with my new Sonata setup. I want to mount a Panaflo L1A 120mm behind the drive cage because I am running a Raptor which gets fairly hot, also curious if it change temps or not.

Anyway, I am finding it nearly impossible to screw the fan in place, especially having trouble with the screw holes closest to the mainboard. What is the easiest way to get this in, besides removing everything and mounting the fan in an empty case (which I should have done in the first place).

Another question, I want to replace the rear Antec fan with an L1A, but I can't seem to get the rubber screws out, I am trying to pinch the rubber bit on the exterior of the case and push it back through but it feels like it is going to break off. Any tips?

Thanks again for the help.

Mr_Smartepants

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:43 pm

As to the rear fan, yes you're doing it right. Just pinch the rubber mounts from outside the case and pull the fan away from the metal. It just takes some finesse, not muscle

For the front fan, if you're trying to use the spare rubber isolators that came with the case, yeah, you're going to scrape your knuckles a bit on the inner/bottom one. Your best bet there is to use an angled needlenosed pliers or a pair of hemostats (medical locking tweezers). You could try looping some string around the tip of the isolator and pull that way.

KenAF

Post by KenAF » Mon Jun 09, 2003 5:18 am

Another question, I want to replace the rear Antec fan with an L1A, but I can't seem to get the rubber screws out, I am trying to pinch the rubber bit on the exterior of the case and push it back through but it feels like it is going to break off. Any tips?
Note the fan isolators included with the Sonata are meant for 25mm deep fans. If you want to use a 38mm deep fan like the 120mm L1A, you may need to buy new fan isolators.

grambo

Post by grambo » Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:40 pm

Hmm crap, I'm going to stop by the hardware store this weekend and see if I can find anything that might work for the 38mm. I've seen that website where you can order isolaters, but the exchange rate and shipping will probably cost more than the actual isolators. I've had no luck trying to screw in the L1A (just to see if it makes a temp diff) I think my hands are too big :(

Thanks for the tips though, I might strip everything out and install it that way.

starsky
Friend of SPCR

Post by starsky » Wed Jun 11, 2003 8:27 pm

Grambo, I haven't been able to hear any noise from the stock 120mm fan running at 5v even with my ear right up to it..... do you "need" to replace it, or do you just prefer to replace it.