Smart Drive 2002 - heat issues with AcoustiPack?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Smart Drive 2002 - heat issues with AcoustiPack?

Post by aphonos » Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:52 am

I am considering putting a Cuda V in a SmartDrive2002 (the new model-not a regular SmartDrive) in one of the 5.25" bays in my case--recess mounted behind the existing 5.25" case drive cover (thus cutting off any air/noise flow the SmartDrive might receive from the front of the case. If I fill the remaining empty bays with AcoustiPack or some other damping material on both the top and bottom of the SmartDrive, will I cut off necessary air circulation to the SmartDrive?

Anyone have experience with this kind of setup?
What kind of drive temps are you getting?

marc999
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by marc999 » Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:09 pm

I plan on doing the same thing but with my new Raptors (two in RAID 1). Right now I have them in the Smart Drive 2002 mounted at the front of my D8000 case. There is still a bit of whine though, so I need to first try the AccousitPack everywhere else and see if that's good enough. If not, I will be forced to put the Smart Drive 2002s back in the 5" bays and put the AcoustiPack on the 5" bay plastic covers and install them. If I do that I'm obviously going to have to figure out a way to mount some fans behind them (blowing at 5V) in the case. Anyway, I'm broke now and they don't have the pre-cut D8000 AcoustiPack available last I checked (which I want) so I won't be able to test everything out for awhile, but when I do I'll let you know (could be like two months though ........).

However, considering that the Seagate runs cooler, with adequate case air flow you'd probably be okay. Remember, the Smart Drive 2002s actually allow lower drive temperatures than just standard open-air mounting, at least from one of the posts I read here.

Td_nw

Post by Td_nw » Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:09 pm

I am setting up a D8000 now with Melamine foam and Volara foam from McMaster, but I am using 2x7200.7's raid0.

(Much cheaper than Acoustic Pac - but McMaster took awhile to ship and they billed me twice but they fixed it after I emailed. - Most people have great things to say about McMaster - so my order may just be one of those rare not great but not terrible service episodes.)

With the Cuda's only getting a little air from inside the case they should be fine in the Smartdrive2002s, as the smartdrives actually expand the surface area for passive cooling. Cannot test results inside a dampened D8000 yet as I am still building, but bottom line is you should be fine.