cooler case

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

David Cole

cooler case

Post by David Cole » Fri Jun 13, 2003 10:36 pm

If I could afford it, I would like to replace the two side panels of my Lian-Li pc-7 case with custom made panels made from perforated sheet metal.

I know this is blindingly obvious, but it is very noticeable how much lower the cpu and case temps are when I run my pc without a side panel. This also has the effect of encouraging the psu not to spin up and ensures that any case/cpu fans can be run at their lowest speeds.

You would expect a sideless, or one sided case set up to be noisier. But my experience is that because of the lower psu operation, and because you can run cooling fans at v low speeds, there is actually no more noise - probably less - than when I have the case with both sides on. And its all much cooler - in my case, and on a hot summer day in a warm room, cpu without a side panel is 39C (just web browsing), and 48C with a side on. Case temps are 33C side off, and 42C side on.

So what this says to me is that, leaving to one side the issue of dust, it would be much easier to operate a maximally quiet pc with two case side panels made from perforated sheet metal - the aluminium or steel sheets with dozens of small holes - to allow much more case ventilation.

This will obviously only be tolerable if you have already got v quiet components.

I suppose I can get out the power drill and spend a couple of days drilling holes in my side panels but it'd be better to get it done properly. I'll have to think how to do this.

I don't know if any spcr members have experimented with this case mod. I'd be interested to hear the experience of anyone who has.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:16 pm

If thats the case then you could just put in side blowholes at key locations, like right over the cpu and duct the air straight to the processor.

Alistair
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Alistair » Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:29 pm

48c is just lovely, no problem to run your chip at this temperature.

But if you'd like lower temperatures, don't get it from the sides, bring it from the bottom front and direct it through to the rear, running overtop the cpu. Treat air like water, pull the cold air through and out the back.

Sounds like you're itching to take that drill to your case (we love to also) - make those openings on the bottom front (even underneath the case and raise it up an inch) and pull cold air through the case with your exhaust fan.

The other option as gamingod says, is good but can be more involved/complicated - make a single opening and duct the air to your cpu.

a.
(currently idling at 60c)

David Cole

Post by David Cole » Sat Jun 14, 2003 12:30 am

Thanks for the replies.

Its not so much heat damage to the cpu I'm worried about as noise.

I have a Zalman 400w which is pretty quiet until it gets warm - I should check exactly what the temp is when this happens but haven't yet. Also I have a new SilenX 400w sitting in its box because although its the quietest psu I have used, it really does get hot quickly and is certainly wound up by hot air coming from all the other heat sources in the case. I would like to use the SilenX but I need to find a way to keep it cool without more self-defeating fans.

My existing two case fans are pretty well inaudible - its just a question, I think, of how to persuade the psu fan not to get going. I have not checked what the threshold temperatures are for the Zalman and the SilenX. Indeed, if I had excellent ventilation, I suppose a fanless psu becomes a real possibility.

Thank you for the idea of blow holes I will think about this. I might just see if its possible to get the sort of side panels I have in mind manufactured - probably cost a fortune.

mynci
Friend of SPCR

Post by mynci » Sat Jun 14, 2003 12:58 am

you could always try ducting the cpu intake to the front of the case (top drive bay perhaps) and this would leave the psu to just cool itself. i can remember someone (perhaps gaminggod, but really not sure) having a post on this showing th mods performed to do just that.