Silent case for a medium setup and 1 hdd (mb ssd)

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

pcMustBeSilent

Silent case for a medium setup and 1 hdd (mb ssd)

Post by pcMustBeSilent » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:20 am

Hi. Right now i am looking for a new nice looking and most important silent case. The problem is i cant get antec cases (i really like P180/182) cos they are not shipped to my country. Can you pls recommend me a good silent pc case for medium setup (i920, 1 gtx 260/4870)? I am not very pro at pc silencing but right now my pc is very silent and i would like it to be as silent with new hardware and in new case. Right now i am using 2x noctua NF-S12-1200 (600rpm), NH-U9B for cpu (92mm – 1100 rpm), FSP zen 400watt (passive), passive 8500gt and 1 hdd - WD1200BEVS (i just hate standard hdds because of the noise they produce and i wait for SSDs to become more cheaper, also this means i can use aluminum case?).
I must confess that i didn’t follow your advice in building up silent case – i have a side fan for cooling video card otherwise it can overheat easily but still my pc is very silent and with that side fan i don’t have any problems with overheating.
I was browsing through the shops where i will buy the case and other hardware and the cases which looks nice for me are:
LIAN LI PC-A7110, LIAN LI PC-A10, Silverstone Temjin TJ09, so can these cases be made silent with just putting silent hardware in them and not worrying about overheating? Can you recommend any other good case for making a silent and gaming pc?

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:26 am

Hi! Welcome to the SPCR!!!

Any case can be made quiet. Silverstone Fortress FT-01 got good positive review but its expensive. Can you get Coolermaster cases? Coolermaster Sileo seems to be very good alternative for antecs.

Most important feature for case is that it has quiet fans ( you can get them later sperately)or places for 120mm fans or larger fans, unobstructed air pathways and it keeps your hardware inside.

pcMustBeSilent

Post by pcMustBeSilent » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:45 am

thejamppa
Thx for your reply. I agree that any case can be made silent but i want it to be silent just by putting silent hardware into it :) About Silverstone Fortress FT-01 – unfortunately its not in the shops where i can buy from and about Coolermaster Sileo – i want something better looking (thought its all very subjective and sileo looks quite good) and with more space for any hardware. What do u people think about the cases i mentioned i really like the fan mounting system in silverstone temjin 09 and also the vga cooler but i don’t know if it is effective.

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:47 pm

The cases you have mentioned are all quite large - any particular reason for this? The new hardware you mentioned will not generate so much heat that you need such massive cases or large amounts of storage bays etc.

What other cases can you buy? Any other smaller Lian Li cases or other Silverstone cases, such as the Raven? Any other Coolermaster cases you can buy and like the look of?

If possible, can you give us a link to the PC shops that you can buy cases from?

With a Core i7 and reasonably high powered graphics card you will need a case with decent airflow - at a minimum 1 x rear 120mm fan and 1 x front intake 120mm fan (or 2 x 92mm fans).

pcMustBeSilent

Post by pcMustBeSilent » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:56 pm

JamieG
The cases you have mentioned are all quite large - any particular reason for this?
Thx for your reply. I want the large case because in the future i can put any video card and top-hot hardware there without any problem and i just like them:D (though i agree mb its not very smart to take full tower for me).
What about LIAN LI PC-A10 its mid-tower can it be silent and effective?
If possible, can you give us a link to the PC shops that you can buy cases from?
Sure but its in russian (i am from ukraine) and the form wont let me: "You must have 3 posts before you can post URL's/Links."

update
I have clicked on edit and now i can post links :P

LianLi
SilverStone
CoolerMaster

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:25 am

The PC-A10 still looks a little big to me.

Like thejamppa said, any case with good basics can be made reasonably quiet, mainly by swapping fans. It comes down to your preference for looks etc.

Try to get a case that you like and which has front and rear 120mm fan mounts.

If you are using notebook harddrives, having space to suspend a HDD is less important, as you can just suspend the notebook HDD in the standard HDD mounting area.

Of the cases from the website you linked to, I would go for the slightly smaller:
- Lian Li PC-60B
- Lian Li PC7B

or even
- Cooler Master Centurion 534
- Cooler Master Elite 335

pcMustBeSilent

Post by pcMustBeSilent » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:16 am

JamieG
Thx once again for your reply and for looking to the links. I think i need a case with good cooling for video card (as i am going to use something like 4870/gtx260 mb passive 4850). And is only front and rear 120mm fans enough? I would like to get something with additional mount for 120 witch cools specifically video card. If to put aside that PC-A10 is quite big can it be good for silent pc and what do you think about silverstone temjin09 vga cooling? That cases that u advised look nice but they don’t have any cooling options for vga and i don’t think i will be able to use passive video card in them