Seeking a replacement for an Original Antec Sonata

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

W1ZZ4

Seeking a replacement for an Original Antec Sonata

Post by W1ZZ4 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:28 pm

Hello,

I'm about to "retire" my good old original Antec Sonata case. I love this case, I've owned for the past 5 years. But now, I need a new case for my Linux server (temp are higher since I upgraded to an Athlon X2 5000+ Black) and I'm planning to use the Sonata as the Linux replacement case and get a new one for my living room PC. The Sonata have 2 120mm Antec Tri-Cool fan at Medium speed and I'm quite happy with the system noise. Maybe I don't have high standard regarding noise.

So I'm seeking for a replacement, between 100$ and 150$ US.
Here is My PC Config :
CPU : AMD Phenom X4 955 Black Edition
CPU HS : Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro PWM
RAM : 2 X 2GB PC3-1600 1.85V
Board : GIGABYTE GA-MA790FXT
PSU : Antec TruePower New TP-750 750W
Video : Galaxy 8800GT
HDD : 2 X WD 640 Black RAID 0
Optical : Sony Optiarc DVD-RW

I don't like Antec Solo design... I do Like My Sonata design (as I said, this is a living room pc, and my living room deco is modern with conservative colors like black, hard dark wood...)

I already have a sufficient PSU for both my main computer and my server, so I need to be a PSU less case...

It may be a case that need some light modz (like adding sound dampening material). Nothing involving Dremel please...

I will consider replacing provided fans (suggestions are welcome).

I don't overclock my computer, current cpu temp is 37C idle, 55C full load, mobo temp is 40C idle, 50C load.

That's about it...

Thanks for your future suggestions

PS : My native tongue is french, so don't kidz about grammar/spelling mistake please...
PS2 : this is my first post, be kind please!

mentawl

Post by mentawl » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:05 pm

You might wish to consider the Sonata Elite if you liked the design of the original - http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6811129057 . It comes without a PSU and is fairly priced as good quality cases go. SPCR did a review of it at http://www.silentpcreview.com/Antec_Sonata_Elite if you're interested in seeing the insides and so on :).

W1ZZ4

Post by W1ZZ4 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:31 pm

[quote="mentawl"]You might wish to consider the Sonata Elite if you liked the design of the original .[/quote]

I already checked that review, but I can't find a comparative review against an Sonata I (probably because this is quite an old case). I don't want to change my Sonata for something that gonna give me about the same results, I want something a bit better...

I would like to add that spcr reviewer don't seem to recommend that case, conclusion is a bit mixed...

capecodbackup

Post by capecodbackup » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:42 pm

Have a look at this sweet case...

WOW, I had not seen the Fractal case mentioned here before. NICE CASE!

http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=product&prod=32

mdrumt

Post by mdrumt » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:46 pm

Hi there,

You could look at the Silverstone FT02 or a Lian Li case, maybe the Lian Li PC-B10?

Something like these would look classy for living room use, they ARE more expensive cases however.

W1ZZ4

CoolerMaster Sileo 500 wihtout the PSU

Post by W1ZZ4 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:23 pm

I decided to go with this case (CoolerMaster Sileo 500 wihtout the PSU), I like the look, spcr reviewed and gave a thumbs up and a bit cheaper than I expected to pay...

Thanks all for the recommandations!

nyhcbri

Post by nyhcbri » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:31 pm

i LOVE the look of the sileo but i think the solo is a much better built case. that was a major decision for me. sileo smells and its flimsy not meant to be tinkered with. i really wish i could get the 2 side by side. i also had a hard time finding the sileo without the psu included.