Silverstone Fortress FT02 (P182 killer?)

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

SST Guy
-- Vendor --

Post by SST Guy » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:15 pm

RBBOT wrote:I'm not sure the cooling of a fully packed hard drive cage will be too problematic - it's not as if the air from that fan has to pass through them in order to cool anything else and they are mounted vertically, whereas in the Raven 2 the bottom drive will block the airflow to the others.

Am I right in saying the differences between this and the raven 2 are:

+ Aluminium over steel instead of plastic over steel
+ 5 quick release vertical mounted drives vs 3 fixed horizontal drives
- No 8th expansion slot
- Fixed 700rpm fans instead of 700-1000 adjustable

Does the fortress still have the SSD mount and the cut out behind the processor?
The RAVEN RV02 also has the hard drives mounted vertically so they don't block air flow for the bottom fan.

We have decided to give FT02 the adjustable fans as well so the difference between it will only be down to:

Aluminum unibody vs. plastic outer shell
7 vs. 8 expansion slots
5 vs. 3 hard drive bays
Foam padding on panels for FT02

SST Guy
-- Vendor --

Post by SST Guy » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:18 pm

netmask254 wrote:I'm wondering whether 700rpm of 18cm fan is still not low enough for silencers. BTW, where do you get such spec? I can't get any more information after previous rumors :twisted:
SPCR has already tested both RV01 and FT01, which had the same 180mm fan fixed at 700rpm. They are already very quiet and can be easily adjusted to run even slower as they are powered by motherboard 3pin connectors.

RBBOT

Post by RBBOT » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:05 am

That's good news - although we want to run the fans as low as possible, its nice to be able to increase the rpm to prevent the proverbial from hitting them.

Can I ask where is the best place to mount a 2nd SSD in these cases?

Kyocera

Post by Kyocera » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:38 am

Fortress FT02.

There is one big issue.
The new ATI 5870 is 11 inch long, the 5870x2 is going to be around 12.5 inch long and the Nvidia dual-Gt300 probably even longer.

The raven 02 case supports 10.5 inch cards.
I love the Fortress 02 case, but buying a new case that supports only OLD graphic cards is somewhat of unconvincing. ????

Was the issue adressed with the Fortress02???

Trigeminal

Post by Trigeminal » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:48 pm

Kyocera wrote:Fortress FT02.

There is one big issue.
The new ATI 5870 is 11 inch long, the 5870x2 is going to be around 12.5 inch long and the Nvidia dual-Gt300 probably even longer.

The raven 02 case supports 10.5 inch cards.
I love the Fortress 02 case, but buying a new case that supports only OLD graphic cards is somewhat of unconvincing. ????

Was the issue adressed with the Fortress02???
This is hugely important to me as well. This is really, IMO, the best looking case and will likely be one of the best air cooled cases. I have been holding off on my purchase for this case. I will wait as long as late November before purchasing my new rig, so fingers crossed it is out by then.

However, I plan to build a core i7 and 5870 rig (possibly 5870x2), so if the 5870 won't fit, I'll have to start my search for the perfect case all over again. This case really looks like a winner, hopefully Silverstone makes sure it can fit the 5870.

Trigeminal

Post by Trigeminal » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:54 pm

Just saw me this quote from Tony on HardOCP thread:
To answer some of your questions regarding room for graphics cards in the RV02 and FT02. It was designed to fit cards as long as 12"

The reason we mentioned 10.5" in our literatures for many of our cases is that we were under the impression that neither GPU company will go over that length for consumer graphics cards. Apparently ATI has decided to break that unofficial rule, which is unfortunate, the actual PCB of 5870 is likely still only 10.5". The non-functional air vents with the plastic cover is responsible for making the card longer.

We are still waiting for confirmation from ATI regarding the length of 5870x2. Even if it is indeed 12" and touching the fan grille, you shouldn't need to worry about the airflow getting divided as the 180mm fan is bigger than the cards (plus there are three of them inside case).

I will give everyone update here as soon as I heard back from them!

Beebee

When is it arriving?

Post by Beebee » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:12 am

I await it's arrival with baited breath :D

I think it would be a great match with the Accelero s1 it would even make use of the extra ventilation at the top of the case.

I don't think Iv'e ever seen a case better suited to big passive VGA coolers Beebee

Trigeminal

Post by Trigeminal » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:09 am

Oh yeah, Tony=Tony Ou, a SilverStone Tech Representative

jeffj29

Post by jeffj29 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:14 am

SST Guy,

I'm sure you've already been asked this plenty, but do you have any updates reagarding when the FT02 may actually be released? Mid-October?... definitely not until November, etc?

Any updates you could provide would be greatly appreciated. I am building a new system in October and the FT02 is one of my leading candidates to use for the case so I am eagerly waiting for any new info...

SST Guy
-- Vendor --

Post by SST Guy » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:15 pm

Hi Jeff, I am sorry to disappoint you, but the FT02 is delayed for November release.

The initial information we have is that the 5870X2 will be 12.1" so RV02 and FT02's honeycomb grille will need to be removed to accommodate it.

If you are getting the single GPU 5870 card, then there is nothing to worry about, it'll fit in our cases perfectly.

Herb W.

Post by Herb W. » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:42 am

SST Guy wrote:
The initial information we have is that the 5870X2 will be 12.1" so RV02 and FT02's honeycomb grille will need to be removed to accommodate it.
How easy is that going to be, and is it going to cause any safety issues (I presume you are talking about a grill over the inside face of the fan(s) at the bottom of the case)?

Edit: looking at the photos those GPU power cables could get the wood chipper treatment without the grilles. Silverstone should have provided an extra inch - dumb economizing move.

Trigeminal

Post by Trigeminal » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:46 am

Herb W. wrote:
SST Guy wrote:
Edit: looking at the photos those GPU power cables could get the wood chipper treatment without the grilles. Silverstone should have provided an extra inch - dumb economizing move.
Thought the same thing, but on the other hand I don't plan to nor want to purchase the 5870x2, so it will be fine for me!

jeffj29

Post by jeffj29 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:11 am

SST Guy,

I will be using a 5850 card so everything would fit fine with me. :)

Being patient enough for the delivery date of the FT02 is a bigger concern with me. I will have my new edition of Windows 11 in a few weeks with nothing to install it in if I wait for the FT02.

I see that some of the case reviews for the Raven 02 mention the inside component temperatures are a little on the warm side compared to some cases. Is it expected that the cooling will be any better with the FT02 than the RV02?

Kyocera

Post by Kyocera » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:05 pm

I like the metal finish (black) of the Fortress FT02, it's uncluttered front, albeit the company could have hidden the optical drives behind a door (similar to that of HHD in Obsidian D800), since the case would then look bomb beautiful.

However, there is nothing that I can do with it.

Nvidia will today announce the new GT300 processor, the specifications are revolutionary (ATI products see as taken from a history museum).
The GT300 will go towards 13 inch (and more), depending on the cooling solution (partners) of the enormous GPU-CPU chip, with huge Level 1 memory (not to mention the 1.5 GB of GDDR5-and this at least).

Trigeminal

Post by Trigeminal » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:29 pm

Kyocera wrote:I like the metal finish (black) of the Fortress FT02, it's uncluttered front, albeit the company could have hidden the optical drives behind a door (similar to that of HHD in Obsidian D800), since the case would then look bomb beautiful.

However, there is nothing that I can do with it.

Nvidia will today announce the new GT300 processor, the specifications are revolutionary (ATI products see as taken from a history museum).
The GT300 will go towards 13 inch (and more), depending on the cooling solution (partners) of the enormous GPU-CPU chip, with huge Level 1 memory (not to mention the 1.5 GB of GDDR5-and this at least).
From Anand's article you may be waiting until next Feb to get a $600 gpgpu that only slightly outperforms ATI's current offering. Looks like their focus is gpgpu right now and if you want a $300 card you might be waiting until much later (another 3-6 months).

jeffj29

Post by jeffj29 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:33 pm

SST Guy

I have one last question. I apologize for asking so many questions but I think the FT02 seems like a fantastic case and I just trying to learn if I should wait for its release.

I notice in all of the pictures of the FT02 it shows the CPU side of the motherboard (and window) facing the right side of the case. This is opposite of the FT01 and how most cases are designed. I place my PC below my desk on the right side (as I am guessing most right-handed people do).
Is the final version of the FT02 actually going to have the window and motherboard installation on right side of the case (as opposed to the left)? If this is true then sadly that may rule the FT02 out for me. :(

Trigeminal

Post by Trigeminal » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:07 am

jeffj29 wrote:SST Guy

I have one last question. I apologize for asking so many questions but I think the FT02 seems like a fantastic case and I just trying to learn if I should wait for its release.

I notice in all of the pictures of the FT02 it shows the CPU side of the motherboard (and window) facing the right side of the case. This is opposite of the FT01 and how most cases are designed. I place my PC below my desk on the right side (as I am guessing most right-handed people do).
Is the final version of the FT02 actually going to have the window and motherboard installation on right side of the case (as opposed to the left)? If this is true then sadly that may rule the FT02 out for me. :(
I am 99% sure it will have the window on the right just like the Raven RV02. This is important for the cooling in their stacker approach which draws cool air from the floor out and pushes it with positive pressure our the top.

By the way I am right handed and have my case on the left side of my desk so the window faces out to my living room/kitchen/hall, I was worried about putting it on the right or having the window face under the desk. We humans are really creatures of habit. :lol:

Kyocera

Post by Kyocera » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:17 am

[/quote]
From Anand's article you may be waiting until next Feb to get a $600 gpgpu that only slightly outperforms ATI's current offering. Looks like their focus is gpgpu right now and if you want a $300 card you might be waiting until much later (another 3-6 months).[/quote]

The problem is another; Nvidia will have to come out first with a motherboard for Gt300 chips (instead of Intel); buying a CPU/GPU hybrid only for rendering framerates is withour sense (and can be done better, cheaper, more efficient, with ATI 5870x2).

Trigeminal

Post by Trigeminal » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:40 am

Kyocera wrote: The problem is another; Nvidia will have to come out first with a motherboard for Gt300 chips (instead of Intel); buying a CPU/GPU hybrid only for rendering framerates is withour sense (and can be done better, cheaper, more efficient, with ATI 5870x2).
That was in fact my point. Although the card does look short. :roll:

Kyocera

Post by Kyocera » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:55 am

That was the card for professional use; the consumer version has a little different cooling needs (much higher).

And they are preparing the "395" or dual GT300 card.

The only thing missing is a motherboard; if I have to buy an Intel chip, than the whole thing is pointless :D

Brubi

Post by Brubi » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:17 am

I have one Question, the Case will be out at November but is this only for USA or Worldwide ?
But sry one Question more, what will be cost also in € i´am come from Austria^^

I hope the Case will be Worldwide in November, German Online Shop say 12 December o_0

Kyocera

Post by Kyocera » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:24 am

Brubi,
in English the nouns (die Substantive) do not begin with capitals.
therefore:
question, case, worldwide, online shop,

November-all months begin with capitals

They have an one month delay; it's impossible to give an exact date of release, even for December.

Trigeminal

Post by Trigeminal » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:42 am

Anyone got any new info on this? Frankly, I have already decided to get this, but I am hoping to get my build ordered in late Nov. Any chance it is coming by then? Anymore pics?

Kyocera

Post by Kyocera » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:54 am

I talked today with the representative for Silverstone and apparently they have still issues; as he himself mentiones, the whole internal space needs a rebuild, since it's impossible to place a good 200 dollars case with a Premium positioning that does not support a Nvidia Gt300 generation; not speaking of the 5870x2 (that is the Thing for this case).

He hopes for mid December. (hopes, please).

Trigeminal

Post by Trigeminal » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:06 pm

Uggghhh,... Mid-December suonds quite sucky. But frankly I would rather them make the case nice, than put it out with serious issues. I know what case I want and unless they wait til CES and something there really blows this away, I'll wait.

Kyocera

Post by Kyocera » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:56 pm

The case is really nice, and I adore this 90 degree rotation concept :D

however, it could be even better
DVD drives always ruin the case looks; why not mounting a nice metal door to cover them??

Anyway, you can afford to wait till your facial branch of the trigeminal nerve stays calm and does not twich. :)) :))

Trigeminal

Post by Trigeminal » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:04 am

Nice catch on the name, most people don't get it. I am a med student and it shows off my uber geek style. lol.

I personally don't like any cases with doors. I hate the aestetic of doors in general, I mean I get the clean look, but have found them to be often annoying (in the way) and cheap feeling. Clearly everyone has different needs/tastes, thank god there is more than one case.

I am actually looking for a black, full size slot loading dvd drive for the case. Since that will be the only drive I put in, it should sill look really clean, and if install anything else it will be a lcd temp and fan monitor.

Kyocera

Post by Kyocera » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:48 am

Well you know, I got maximum votes in Anatomy (MD program), besides having an university degree in (international) corporate managing and finance; also both my parents are doctors in medicine and surgery;
I meant doors like the ones on the Corsair Obsidian D800.

Trigeminal

Post by Trigeminal » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:35 am

The 800D is a great case, but way bigger than I need. I will not use watercooling and will only have 1 vid card, so the 800D is waste, but definately one of the best cases out there. I like the FT01 and FT02 visually much more.

Kyocera

Post by Kyocera » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:21 am

The Obsidian is much to expensive, the cooling capabilities are laughable, the design is okey.
Raven 02 with the front in metal and with those V parts more pronounced would be the best looking case.
FT02 is very essential in design, therefore a nice RECESSED door covering the slots would make a very attractive monolitic design out of it.