Antec PLUS1080AMG experience?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

Mal3

Antec PLUS1080AMG experience?

Post by Mal3 » Sun Jun 22, 2003 11:08 am

Hi, I'm wondering if somebody around here has any experience with the Antec PLUS1080AMG case/enclosure?

I got my grubby paws on one at a local store and it looked like a premium product and all specs seemed to indicate it would do just fine for me. Only hitch is that I'm slightly worried about noise level.

Now, I'm not looking to make THE silent PC, but noise is still an issue. I don't expect my PC to be quiet, only silent enough for me. I know I'm heading into a very subjective issue and folks around here probably have a high standard regarding noise levels, but I'd be happy if someone with experience could give me a good and brief (or long if you feel like it! :wink: ) description of the noise levels to be expected.

The case comes with three 80mm case fans. I had planned on getting a case and install two such fans but these are temperature controlled it seems, hopefully making the noise level lower. I don't mind a low, smooth whispering noise, but anything more might bother me a bit.

ruprag

Post by ruprag » Sun Jun 22, 2003 11:38 am

This looks just like my Chieftech Dragon case.

It works very well in that it has good airflow letting me run my fans at low speeds.

currently using 1 exhaust (vantec blehh) 1 intake (in front of my harddisk which lies on the floor on some "sponge" and the chieftec fan that came in the side panel (but I am using a different mounting system for that one) all the fans are at 5V

The PSU is just the stock Chieftec (360w) and its fan runs at 1400-1500 rpm depending on heat.

I get ok temperatures CPU diode idle 52-54 idle and 63 orso under load (prime95 for 45 minutes).

I need the intake fan to cool the HDD, if I did not need it for that then I would remove it.

Mal3

Post by Mal3 » Mon Jun 23, 2003 1:23 am

Indeed, a friend of mine just bought a Dragon and that's what I wanted also. Internally they seem exactly the same. The difference lies in details and included equipment. Oh, and a case finish that had me groping it :P :oops:

Think I'll spring for one of those and soon hopefully. I guess I might be able to remove one fan if noise is an issue. Of course, with a modern system one fan is just a drop in the ocean...

MercenaryJulian

Post by MercenaryJulian » Mon Jun 23, 2003 11:23 am

I've had once since last December, and I'm quite happy with it. I did not, however, purchase it with "quiet" computing in mind.

Good points include: Overall look and finish (as you know), Antec 430 PSU that includes 7-volt "fan only" connectors, convenient internal setup, front intake fan filter.

Bad points (from a quiet perspective): Those nasty purple brackets and the lack of regular fan mounting holes that go with them. Makes it hard to use Elastomeric fan mounts, though some people have pulled it off. It lets sounds out in the front, the side fan hole, and the back. HSF noise especially seems almost to magnify itself coming out of the side. Running three stock fans at 12 volts is unbearable.

I've dealt with the back noise escape and some of the front noise using mufflers, and coated much of the internal surface with Paxmate (generally regarded as useless, though it made a difference for me). I moved the HD cage with the purple mounted fan up to the 3.5 bays, allowing the fan to pull air in directly through the bezel, over the HDD, and into the PSU, which keeps the PSU's temp-controlled fan at low speed.

In addition, three of the four case fan mounts are currently filled by Antec Smart(?)fans, which are on occasion _louder_ than the stock Antec case fans run at 7 volts.

If I had to pick my case again, I would make the same choice. However, you must consider that I like-but-don't-need quiet computing.

Mal3

Post by Mal3 » Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:22 am

It seems to be boiling down to the fact that this is a very good case and I like it. I'm thinking I'll go with it and if it's too noisy I'll just have myself a project... At least the way the case is set up it should be fairly easy to fiddle with it.

A good case should last quite some time and fans are replacable. I should be able to do some juggling on this if deem it neccesary. Now I'll just start directing my attention at a suitable hard drive that combines good performance with reliability and (relative) silence...

Thanks for the advice!

dioSRL

Post by dioSRL » Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:01 pm

i had one and I am quite happy. In combination with thermalright slk900u, a couple of panaflo's (3x80mm+1x92 for heatsink), and a quiet hdd, it's the powerfull "semi-silent" combination you can get. Very solid and heavy.

Unfortunately for me, no panaflo and no quiet hdd(but soon:)). For instance I am running it with smart case fan 2 on the heatsink and with an 800JB hdd - this is by far the lousiest component. With it shut off its really nice, no high pitch, no vibrations.. a nice case.

Mal3

Post by Mal3 » Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:42 am

Powerful and "semi-silent". I guess that describes what I want to a word. I want my next system in that case! Then I can spend quiet hours running my fingertips over the clearcoat and admiring it. Hope my GF won't get jealous! :D