rubber grommets for antec slk3700

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

techiecool

rubber grommets for antec slk3700

Post by techiecool » Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:07 pm

does the antec slk3700 come with the same type of rubber grommets that the sonata comes with? and what about a washable filter? i essentially have narrowed my choice down to the sonata and slk3700, and would like to get the slk3700 except i like the features of the sonata.

Will_Corrigan

Post by Will_Corrigan » Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:38 pm

The 3700 comes with both rubber grommets and a washable air filter.

techiecool

Post by techiecool » Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:56 pm

great, thx. then the slk3700 it is.

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:00 pm

I haven't even started building mine yet, but I can tell you that you will not be disappointed (if I'm wrong then do tell).

Also, ditto what Will_Corrigan said.

mrzed
Patron of SPCR

Post by mrzed » Sat Jun 28, 2003 3:36 pm

Just be aware that the 3700 will suck in considerable dust from the unfiltered intake on the bottom of the bezel. Unless you cover that up of course.

I just duct taped an old dryer sheet on the bottom of mine. It may be ghetto, but it works well, and I can replace it for free any week of the year. It can't be seen until you turn the case over though. I'm sure I could figure out a more elegant solution but I don't see the need.

Most cases that have front filters also have this flaw. Easy to fix though. And the washable filter is nicely done.

I just got my case a week ago. It's my first quality case. No way is it as silent as the Sonata run stock, but it's better than average, and has the potential to become very silent with few mods. If you are happy with switching the PSU for a quiet one, or doing a few easy mods on the stock, it a better case, IMO. More room, all the features, just a cheaper, noisier PSU.

techiecool

Post by techiecool » Sat Jun 28, 2003 7:41 pm

yeah i am planning to drop the psu for a fortron 300W 120mm.

HokieESM

Post by HokieESM » Sun Jun 29, 2003 7:51 am

techie cool --> if you're going with the Fortron PSU, you might want to consider ordering from www.directron.com . They'll let you "swap out" the stock power supply for the Fortron (and actually take 6 bucks off the price!). that way, you don't have to "eat" the cost of an Antec PSU. :)

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Jun 29, 2003 8:41 am

mrzed wrote:Just be aware that the 3700 will suck in considerable dust from the unfiltered intake on the bottom of the bezel. Unless you cover that up of course.
This is true. When I built mine I covered up this slot with aluminum duct tape. Just yesterday I opened up my case for the first time in about 10 weeks and was pleasently suprised how little dust was inside. There was some on the heatsink but hardly any on the CPU or case fan blades. The PSU was pretty clean too. Way less dust than I've been used to with my Antec SX10x0 cases, even with my various "home made" dust filters cobbled onto the front of the case.

FLD

Isolating PSU from 3700 back panel with HDD rubber grommets?

Post by FLD » Fri Jul 18, 2003 7:24 am

Hi! Well, I followed the advice, and bought the SLK 3700. Great case!!! I am now thinking at making even more silent (never ending story as we all know :-)).
Has anyone ever considered using the extra rubber grommets ( I only have one HDD...) as isolators between the PSU and the case back panel?

The way I see it: would require to replicate the double holes set up they used on the HDD rack with the 4 PSU holding holes. But not sure the rubber grommets would still have enough flexibility when holding the weight of the PSU?

Any thoughts guys?

FLD

Isolating PSU from 3700 back panel with HDD rubber grommets?

Post by FLD » Fri Jul 18, 2003 7:27 am

Hi! Well, I followed the advice, and bought the SLK 3700. Great case!!! I am now thinking at making even more silent (never ending story as we all know :-)).
Has anyone ever considered using the extra rubber grommets ( I only have one HDD...) as isolators between the PSU and the case back panel?

The way I see it: would require to replicate the double holes set up they used on the HDD rack with the 4 PSU holding holes. But not sure the rubber grommets would still have enough flexibility when holding the weight of the PSU?

Any thoughts guys?

WannaOC

Post by WannaOC » Wed Jul 23, 2003 7:52 am

Odd question but could you do me a favor and measure from the bottom of the case to the bottom of the floppy drive bays? I am conisdering this case but need room for a radiator there. Thanks!

Wedge

Re: Isolating PSU from 3700 back panel with HDD rubber gromm

Post by Wedge » Wed Jul 23, 2003 8:24 am

FLD wrote: Has anyone ever considered using the extra rubber grommets ( I only have one HDD...) as isolators between the PSU and the case back panel?
Those would probably work if the screw were longer, but as it is I dont think so.
Last edited by Wedge on Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Jul 24, 2003 4:40 am

WannaOC wrote:Odd question but could you do me a favor and measure from the bottom of the case to the bottom of the floppy drive bays? I am conisdering this case but need room for a radiator there. Thanks!
8⅛"

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Re: Isolating PSU from 3700 back panel with HDD rubber gromm

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Jul 24, 2003 4:43 am

Wedge wrote:
FLD wrote: Has anyone ever considered using the extra rubber grommets ( I only have one HDD...) as isolators between the PSU and the case back panel?
Those would probably work if the screw were longer, but as it is I dont think so.
Buy longer screws! I think they're 6-32.

Directron also sells these rubber "gaskets" that you slip between the PSU and case to isolate the vibrations. I've also seen one case manufacturer (who's name a don't remember) that includes a clear slicone PSU mounting gasket with their case hardware.

Kostik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Kostik » Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:58 am

A little tip about the SLK-3700 and its rubber grommets.

There is a little piece of metal that holds the hds. This voids the purpose of drive decoupling, and is not needed, because when there's a screw in the grommet it won't budge and the drive won't fall. If you twist this piece of metal, the drive will be fully decoupled.

I just did it in a case I'm working on for a friend (actually a Compucase 6A19, which is similar).

tragus
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by tragus » Thu Jul 24, 2003 12:45 pm

Thank you Kostik for the helpful hint. I bought an SLK-3700 about a week ago and noticed significant hum noise, identifiable as coming from the hard drive (IBM 180XTC or whatever it's called). I haven't had the time to investigate the solution, so am happy you gave me a direct clue. With luck I'll be writing up my experiences in a little while.

Kostik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Kostik » Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:31 am

I just finished mounting the computer for my friend. Even though there was no direct metal to metal contact between the hd and the case, the vibrations were transmitted and were the cause of the loudest noise in the computer. I was quite disappointed. I'll have to fully decouple it with bungee cords.

miker
Patron of SPCR

Post by miker » Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:40 am

Will_Corrigan wrote:The 3700 comes with both rubber grommets and a washable air filter.
I just assembled this case I didn't see a washable air filter.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:51 am

miker wrote:
Will_Corrigan wrote:The 3700 comes with both rubber grommets and a washable air filter.
I just assembled this case I didn't see a washable air filter.
It's snapped into the front bezel right behind the air intake louvres (louvers?).