Sound dampening - block it off or allow some air through?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

firehorse

Sound dampening - block it off or allow some air through?

Post by firehorse » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:37 pm

Hi,

I have a question about what to do about putting in sound insulation foam in my case.

I'm doing my build here viewtopic.php?f=20&t=65338
but I've come to a point where I would like some advice.

It is regarding the area behind the hard disk support on the Lian Li PC-Q08.

I have been using material from this product http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/silent- ... r-set.html
I have already lined the case with 2mm Silent Coat Deadening.

I'm now debating between the Isolator 4mm (closed cell foam) or the absorber 15 (very squishy!).

If I put the absorber 15 it will completely fill the space between the motherboard panel and the back of the hard disk support stand.
If I put in the isolator 4mm it will leave a gap of about 6 mm between the top of the insulation and the hard disk support stand.

Should I fill it completely with the absorber 15, or should I leave that 6 mm gap and 'hope' I'm leaving some useful airflow from the front fan to trickle through to underneath the motherboard?

Would leaving a gap allow sound to go underneath the hard disk support and be absorbed by the isolator 4 or would be it be more effective to completely block it off using the absorber 15?

Any opinions or other things I should consider?

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.