I'm trying to build a relatively quiet (silence is important but not paramount) system and am having lots of trouble picking a case. The cooler master 690 II advanced (_without_ the side window) had my eye for a while because:
1. Its cheap
2. Hot swappable HD bay on top
3. Looks nice (I like open-grill fronts)
4. black interior
5. screw-less design
Unfortunately it was suggested that all those open air vents will mean it will leak a lot of sound. So I have two (sets of) questions.
1. Can the 690 ii be saved? i.e. can it be made silent by using a several slow moving fans to keep it very cool quietly and blocking unused vents with some foam or something?
2. Can anyone who actually owns this case comment on how silent/noisy it can be?
If not the 690 then what else? Is the Define R3 significantly better? Looks are relatively important to me and to give a sense for my aesthetics I really like the Fractal Design Arc Midi (which is not yet out) and the Mac Pro. Can anyone recommend some decent cases (or comment on the below) satisfying the criteria I listed above?
Cases I'm considering:
1. Fractal Design R3 or XL - not crazy about looks and apparently runs kinda hot
2. Fractal Design Arc Midi - looks amazing but not yet out.
3. Nexus Prominant 5 - looks pretty good but somehow a bit flimsy and no detailed reviews
4. NZXT H2 - Nice but can't seem to find it locally
5. Lian Li Lancool pc-k62 - looks ok but not sure its silent at all
A recent thread mentioned several of these cases but no one said anything about the cooler master 690 ii:viewtopic.php?f=15&t=61993&hilit=690+ii+advanced
If it helps here are the proposed specs of the machine i wanna build:
Cooler Master CM-690 II Advanced (or one of the above)
Cooler Master Silent Pro 500W (M500)
Core i7 2600K
Scythe Mugen 2 rev. b
Asus P8P67 Pro (Rev. B3)
MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II (1 Gb)
Corsair Vengeance - 8 Go : 2 x 4 Go - DDR3 - 1600 MHz / PC3-12800 (1.5V)
Western Digital HD - Caviar Black - 3,5“ - 1 TB - SATA III (or Blue)