Has anyone tried this? Sonex Polyurethane Acoustical Foam

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

happykingcow

Has anyone tried this? Sonex Polyurethane Acoustical Foam

Post by happykingcow » Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:09 pm

Has anyone tried this? Sonex Polyurethane Acoustical Foam from 2cooltek? http://2cooltek.safeshopper.com/63/288.htm?580

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aphonos » Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:44 pm

It seems at least one person used it inside the case. Did you try searching the forums on "sonex"?

tragus
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by tragus » Mon Jul 28, 2003 3:53 pm

WARNING: In my experience, Sonex does not age well. The Sonex foams I've used in sound booths have tended to go brittle and crusty after 3-4 years. Their formula may have changed recently, so it may no longer be a problem. However, ask about the lifetime of the product and warrantee/replacement.

On a different note, check out soundsuckers.com (awful name, great product line). They have a wide variety of acoustic damping and absobing products and are quite happy to help by phone. I'm only a customer of their, but a happy one so far.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Jul 29, 2003 4:35 am

tragus wrote:WARNING: In my experience, Sonex does not age well. The Sonex foams I've used in sound booths have tended to go brittle and crusty after 3-4 years. Their formula may have changed recently, so it may no longer be a problem. However, ask about the lifetime of the product and warrantee/replacement.
This is exactly correct and I've posted about it several times here at SPCR. I personally would not use this inside a cse.

I've used this on the walls of my stereo listening room for over 20 years and it only lasts a few years before it starts drying up and turning to powder.

We also use it where I work to line the inside of some noisy electric enclosures and it only lasts a year or two before it starts deteriorating. Seems like the extra heat makes it break down even faster than normal.