P183 problem - vent door lock broken

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

zyrobs

P183 problem - vent door lock broken

Post by zyrobs » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:39 pm

I have a problem with my P183. I just noticed today, that the plastic door lock on the bottom ventilation filter is broken. It's that small plastic push-in mechanism that clicks and holds when it is pushed in, and releases if you push it in again. I don't even know what it's called properly.
Well, it clicks when pushed in, but only if I push it in very deeply, and it doesn't hold the door at all. If it manages to hold the door, it does so in a way that you can't get it to release it - other than punching the lock.

Is it possible to replace this lock? I don't know if replacement parts are available (what is this door lock type called, did Antec use one with custom measurements or some standard one). I don't know if it's physically possible to remove/change this small component from the case - never had to take apart the P183 to this many pieces.

Since this is my main computer, I really don't want to take it apart just to experiment. Just re-cabling it would take an hour, since it's pretty much filled to the brim (hdds and fans everywhere, giant videocard, extreme cabling, etc.).

Series-8

Re: P183 problem - vent door lock broken

Post by Series-8 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:15 am

Hmm - I've got an earlier model P-Series, with the same problem.

I just manually fiddled the cover door back onto the plastic clip - IIRC Antec will send out replacement parts if your case is still in warranty... (Or they used to years ago)

Otherwise the fan door only serves to block airflow :wink:

Akustyk

Post by Akustyk » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:31 pm

I would start a service ticket with Antec. They should replace this. I once had a problem with the door not staying open, and they replaced the front bezel for me, for free (under warranty).

laager

Post by laager » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:41 pm

For anyone interested, the latch is an Anixter 2014200. I got spares from the UK.