just got a Fractal Design R3... my opinions

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

JustinHoMi

just got a Fractal Design R3... my opinions

Post by JustinHoMi » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:58 pm

Wow. Had I not just paid $109 for this case I would have thought it were a $30 case. It's really flimsy, and the workmanship is shoddy. Many of the metal pieces such as the hard drive trays are so thin that they were accidentally bent during manufacturing. Every panel is thin enough that you can easily deform it by pushing lightly with your fingers. Nothing fits tight either... the fan doors on the front and some of the fan filters would probably rattle because they have nothing tightly securing them down.

On top of that, the case I received had scratches, the screws were partially stripped, and there were black fingerprints all over the case.

I'm pretty surprised by the poor quality of this case. I'm not even going to bother transferring the parts over from my old PC. This thing's going back.

mkk

Re: just got a Fractal Design R3... my opinions

Post by mkk » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:47 am

Should definitely go back since it was manhandled during manufacturing. I've never seen one so bad though and at least twenty must have passed my eyes. One had been mauled in shipping but that's another story.

neologan

Post by neologan » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:44 am

Mine came a few days ago and the experience was the opposite. Read a few comments like yours around the net and was worried, but I've been pleasantly surprised by its quality compared to my Lian Li...

mttcrlsn

Post by mttcrlsn » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:13 pm

The reviewers must be getting lemon cases. Fractal Mini I got is great, why pay more - put it toward better video.

Lsv

Post by Lsv » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:52 pm

I'm awaiting this case and I plan on opening it at the warehouse I'm picking it up front just in case I get a lemon.

So far every review has been great about this case though.