Advice Needed... M-Atx Case for Media Server

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

andymet87

Advice Needed... M-Atx Case for Media Server

Post by andymet87 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:15 am

Hi all...

I'm hunting for a silent case so though this might be the best place to get some sound advice!

I have an old media centre Pc that I no longer use and am planning on setting it up as a server / desktop in my study. The idea is I'm going to leave it on 24/7 so I can always access my files via plex wherever I am.

The board I have is a GA-MA78GM-S2H. This has...

- 1 x IDE connector supporting ATA-133/100/66/33 and up to 2 IDE devices
- 5 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (SATAII0, SATAII1, SATAII2, SATAII3, SATAII4) supporting up to 5 SATA 3Gb/s devices
- 1 x eSATA 3Gb/s port on the back panel supporting up to 1 SATA 3Gb/s device
- Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 10 and JBOD

So in my eyes is ideal for my desired setup.

Basically I need a case that will have

1 x 5.25 Drive Bay
6 x 3.5 Drive Bay
be as small as possible
...and be as quiet as possible (as it will be on 25/7)!

I have a relatively low power 65W CPU (AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core Processor 5600+ ~ 2.9 GHz) but will over time increase the number of hard drives (using 2TB drives) up to the maximum as and when it is required.

any suggestions most welcome!

cheers!

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Re: Advice Needed... M-Atx Case for Media Server

Post by kuzzia » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:29 am

I think the Fractal Design Define Mini would be good for you. It can hold six hard drives (with rubber grommets), two 5.25" drives, comes with dampening foam, two quiet fans when undervolted (it comes with a fan controller), and it looks nice too.

I don't know many other m-ATX cases with room for six harddrives, but perhaps you could find something smaller.

andymet87

Post by andymet87 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:07 am

Do you mean the Fractal Design R3?

I'm also pondering over the Lian Li V354, and the Silverstone TJ08B-E. Does anyone have any experience with that either of them?

It might sound silly but I'd rather it wasn't a standard looking tower enclosure...!

andymet87

Post by andymet87 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:56 am

kuzzia wrote:I think the Fractal Design Define Mini would be good for you. It can hold six hard drives (with rubber grommets), two 5.25" drives, comes with dampening foam, two quiet fans when undervolted (it comes with a fan controller), and it looks nice too.

I don't know many other m-ATX cases with room for six harddrives, but perhaps you could find something smaller.
kuzzia wrote:I think the Fractal Design Define Mini would be good for you. It can hold six hard drives (with rubber grommets), two 5.25" drives, comes with dampening foam, two quiet fans when undervolted (it comes with a fan controller), and it looks nice too.

Thanks, Is that the R3 your talking about?

Im also tempted by the Silverstone TJ08B-E, and the Lian Li V354.... anyone have any experience with them?

kuzzia
Friend of SPCR

Post by kuzzia » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:37 am

andymet87 wrote:

Thanks, Is that the R3 your talking about?

Im also tempted by the Silverstone TJ08B-E, and the Lian Li V354.... anyone have any experience with them?
No, I'm talking about the Define Mini :wink: The R3 is an ATX-tower with room for eight HDD's.

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:52 am

I second Kuzzia recommendation with the Fractal Design Define Mini, but remember that from ATX to micro ATX is not that big of size change, its a 2 or 3 pci slots, so Defini Mini will still be a desktop tower, slightly smaller than most. If you wish to read more, check SPRC review on it, Fractal Design Define Mini MicroATX Tower

If you were to consider new hardware in favor of a smaller setup, and still persuing a 6 disk server, then i would recommend to check LIAN LI PC-Q25B, but doesnt have a 5.25 slot. If the optical is a must, then i would probably go with LIAN LI PC-Q08B, has space for 6x 3.5 hdds and 1x 5.25 slot. For Mini ITX i would build around Super Micro X7SPA-H Motherboard comes with 6x sata ports or if you are AMD fan look into Asus E35M1-I, also has 6x internal sata ports.