flexible SSD/HDD mounting options for up to three 5.25" bays

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

ultrachrome
Patron of SPCR

flexible SSD/HDD mounting options for up to three 5.25" bays

Post by ultrachrome » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:23 pm

I'm reusing my beloved P150 for my next build which will run primarily off an SSD with a 3.5" HDD that I will use for backup, both local data and data from other machines on my network.

To squeeze in my graphics card, I've opted to completely remove the lower HDD cage so I will be mounting all drives in the 5.25" bays. I have one optical drive and therefore three available 5.25" bays for SSD/HDD's.

I also have a handful of spare drives that I may connect to the machine from time to time and might like to remove the HDD for safekeeping when we are out of town and or swap in some spare 3.5" drives that I need to consolidate data from.

The most obvious solution would be hard mount the SSD, Icy Dock the 3.5" and perhaps use an external dock for random HDD use. Is there anything out there a little more clever or compact that folks have had good experiences with?

Mankey

Re: flexible SSD/HDD mounting options for up to three 5.25"

Post by Mankey » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:40 pm

I'm using the cooler master 4 in 3 hdd bay. I tried the silverstone version, but it was too long and ran into my mobo power connector. Build quality isn't all that great, but it does have silicon grommet mounting points. If you're using a 5400rpm 3.5 inch drive for your backup, it'll be pretty darn quiet.

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Mod ... B00129CDGC

ultrachrome
Patron of SPCR

Re: flexible SSD/HDD mounting options for up to three 5.25"

Post by ultrachrome » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:09 pm

Thanks. The grommets would be nice feature.