Transplanting current system to ordered Antec Solo II

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

ignatz

Transplanting current system to ordered Antec Solo II

Post by ignatz » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:16 am

Hello everyone:

I don't post much and haven't in some time, but wanted to run this by the group.

Pretty much on impulse, I have just ordered a Solo II—mostly because I got it for $58 (Amazon $108 less $50 instant discount for signing up for new Chase credit card; free shipping).

My current system:

Compucase LA-6A19 (6 year old clone of Antec 3700, full ATX midtower)

Intel i5-2500

Gigabyte GA-H67A-UD3H-B3 motherboard

4 GB Crucial RAM

No graphics card

2 internal HDs (1 TB Samsung 103SJ for data; 1.5 TB WD Green for backup)

Intel 320 series 80 GB SSD

Seasonic 560-KM fully modular, semi-passive PSU

Scythe Big Shuriken cooler

Scythe Slipstream 800 exhaust, 120mm

Scythe Slipstream 500 on the front side, blowing over spinning drives; 120mm

As you can see, this is a pretty basic but fast PC that I built with some consideration for quiet components. It’s my one and only PC, used for general purposes—no gaming or overclocking.

I’m hoping I can simply transplant the mobo/RAM/CPU/cooler combination to the Solo, intact as a unit, without fighting any clearance issues, connect the PSU, drives, and front panel, and be done with it.

I’ve never even touched a Solo and am looking for pointers regarding the proper order of operations, snares, or frustrations I might encounter.

Offhand, I am leaning against using the elastic drive mounts, considering how little they reduce DB according to the Solo II test on this site.

From what I hear, the cable management is mediocre, but I’m hoping the modularity of my PSU will minimize that. Anything will be an improvement---my current case is circa 2004 technology and looks like a rat’s nest.

The comments I’ve seen on the included exhaust fan are good, so I may use it on low speed rather than my Scythe Slipstream.

The "power switch flimsiness issue" has me spooked, but maybe they have actually improved it?

I considered the Fractal R3 and Coolermaster Silencio 550, but build quality and the door put me off. I also didn't really want connectors on the top panel.

My goal is as quiet as possible with existing hardware and without any case modifications. This thing will be kept 4 feet away on an eye-level desktop. I'm all in favor of tolerating higher temps in exchange for lower noise, within reason. My current setup idles in the upper 30s and hits the low 70s in Prime 95, which is all fine with me. I never see temps above the mid 60s in actual use, and then only rarely.

Any comments or advice appreciated.