Ive build a storage server using norco 4220 case.everything inside the case is very quiet. the only sound i can hear is the wooosh my 3 noctua pf12 120mm fans.
i plan to reduce the woosh sound my fans by soundproofing(blocking the sound) and/or sound diffusing. the sound is a low frequency noise and can be reduce by putting dense mass in the front of the case. i intend to do this by inserting dense mass material in unused hdd tray. by constructing a hdd size hollow box, i can insert dense material inside the box. here are the list of material with its density http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_el ... by_density
i have 2 problem
1. constructing fake hdd blocks(hollow or solid)
2. optimal material(cheap and good) to be use for reducing the noise
heres what i found
1. i tried constructing hollow hdd blocks by using acrylic, but acrylic is too damn expensive.
2. i tried constructing hollow hdd blocks by plastic mold but the price for small quantity is too dam expensive.
3. cement and plaster of paris as solid blocks is easily breaks.
4. i thought of using zinc plates but this requires a lot of cutting by myself. plus, i cant figure out how to joint the zinc edges.