Chieftec Dragon Owners...

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

GenghiS_KhaN

Chieftec Dragon Owners...

Post by GenghiS_KhaN » Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:11 am

Some questions about the midi series (cs601 / dx01):

- Does it really make a big difference in noise if you remove the standard fan mounts (those purple things :p) and cut out the 'fingerguards'?? Even when you run your fans at 7v or even 5v??? I can't test it right now because my fans haven't arrived yet, neither do my TFT en VGA ;)

- What is the other purple thing for?? It looks like a bar or something, its in the front of the case.

- Do I really need that black ring? (someone said it is to reduce electrical noise from the cable wiring that goes to the front bezel)

- If you remove the plastic fan mounts and the premade fingerguards, you have to drill new holes (no problem, i like doing things like that ;)) but 2 of these holes would be were the plastic mounts are attached to the case. (if you know what i mean)
How did you get past that problem?? Add a washer between the case and the screw or somethin like that??

- Do rubber washer really help absorbing the fan vibration??

THX in advance

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Re: Chieftec Dragon Owners...

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Aug 08, 2003 4:30 am

GenghiS_KhaN wrote:Some questions about the midi series (cs601 / dx01):

- Does it really make a big difference in noise if you remove the standard fan mounts (those purple things :p) and cut out the 'fingerguards'?? Even when you run your fans at 7v or even 5v??? I can't test it right now because my fans haven't arrived yet, neither do my TFT en VGA ;)
A big difference with 5V or 7V fans? No, not a big difference but it definitely does make a difference and it all adds up.
GenghiS_KhaN wrote:- What is the other purple thing for?? It looks like a bar or something, its in the front of the case.
That's a card support for the (old) extra long style of PCI cards that hang way out over the back end of the MoBo. You rarely ever see cards like that in normal usage so I just pull that off and toss it.
GenghiS_KhaN wrote:- Do I really need that black ring? (someone said it is to reduce electrical noise from the cable wiring that goes to the front bezel)
I've never used it. I'd try it if I had some noise though.
GenghiS_KhaN wrote:- If you remove the plastic fan mounts and the premade fingerguards, you have to drill new holes (no problem, i like doing things like that ;)) but 2 of these holes would be were the plastic mounts are attached to the case. (if you know what i mean)
How did you get past that problem?? Add a washer between the case and the screw or somethin like that??
Yes, that would work. You could also rotate the fans about 10-15° and drill a set of four new holes. That way you could mount them with those E.A.R. elastomer fan mount thingies.
GenghiS_KhaN wrote:- Do rubber washer really help absorbing the fan vibration??

THX in advance
Depending on how you do it (i.e. - no metal hardware like fan screws or bolts touching the case) it does help but not as much as the elastomer fan mounts.

GenghiS_KhaN

Post by GenghiS_KhaN » Fri Aug 08, 2003 5:20 am

ok thx for the reply, it helped me a lot