Server Cabinet Custom Build

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

dave_silent

Server Cabinet Custom Build

Post by dave_silent » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:38 am

Hi all,

I did a search and I couldn't find an exact answer to what I am looking for or without hijacking the OP or thread so I'll start my own.

I've been looking around and it seems like everyone are being very helpful and nice so I hope everyone will be kind with me with my first post.

I have a Dell Rack server that I've had to pull from the data center, it's a noisy little 1U Rack, R410, those tiny fans makes a hell of a racket. I can't afford to put it back into the data center and I really need to have it running at home running on my own cable internet line.

I was wondering, as I don't have much money to buy like a server cabinet, is there something that I could build out of like MDF wood?

I suppose I could just build a big box, and stick the server in there but I'm sure it will over heat big time. Then I'd probably have to cut some holes and stick some fans to move air through it, but then the noise will escape through the air vents!

So, does anyone have any design suggestions that will allow for good air flow and allow for me to also dampen the sound?

My total budget would be around 250$.

Thanks

David

Irrelevant

Re: Server Cabinet Custom Build

Post by Irrelevant » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:06 am

The only way to get a reasonably soundproofed cabinet is to make it the next best thing to air-tight, and unless it's a REALLY big cabinet, that will fry most computers. You'd be better served searching for a way to stop the noise from being made in the first place.

Judging by a quick Google Images search, it seems like your best bet to do that would be to remove the lid and rig up some way for two or more 120mm fans to blow down onto the system. That should take a lot of the load off those microscopic fans, maybe even allow you to replace them entirely if you remove the shroud over the CPU and pop the top off the PSU.