BitFenix Ghost

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

maf718

BitFenix Ghost

Post by maf718 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:36 pm

The newly released BitFenix Ghost seems like it has the potential to be a good case for SPCR types. Hopefully it lives up to the marketing.

Youtube guided tour from BitFenix marketing people:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxcnTuOG ... ure=relmfu

Product page at BitFenix.com:http://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/news/ ... ils-ghost/

I have never used any BitFenix products so don't know if they possess the required qualities. The design looks good but the performance is going to be dependent on the quality of the materials and the structural integrity with regard to vibrations etc. It would be a good candidate for a(n) SPCR review, but in the meantime any feedback from early adopters?

CA_Steve

Re: BitFenix Ghost

Post by CA_Steve » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:03 pm

Don't think it's hit the retailers, yet in the US.

Olaf van der Spek

Post by Olaf van der Spek » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:47 pm

It's too big :p

Hayate19XX

Post by Hayate19XX » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:48 pm

I don't know if this is off-topic, but it's regarding the same company :)

How about the Prodigy? (Mini-Itx case), used one myself for my new build (See my signature), running the Bitfenix Spectre LED 230mm at 5v, was surprised how silent it is. :D

P.S: The handles was broken from the start (where the screws were), contacted the company, they sent out some new for me, haven't received them as of yet.

Sorry about my English.

Hayate

Edit: Received the handles as of yesterday.
Last edited by Hayate19XX on Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

johnniecache7

Post by johnniecache7 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:03 pm

Olaf van der Spek wrote:It's too big :p
It's perfect no larger then the Antec P280. It's included fans are 1200 rpm using the FDB bearing. No high gloss finish nonsense either and sells for $99 CAD at NCIX. I going to buy one, way better then the Solo or anything out there it's like improved version the Define R4.

Full review: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Bitf ... ost/1.html

Olaf van der Spek

Post by Olaf van der Spek » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:29 am

johnniecache7 wrote: It's perfect no larger then the Antec P280.
Perfect for who? You?
It's included fans are 1200 rpm using the FDB bearing. No high gloss finish nonsense either and sells for $99 CAD at NCIX. I going to buy one, way better then the Solo or anything out there it's like improved version the Define R4.

Full review: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Bitf ... ost/1.html
Review? Where are the noise measurements?
This is not the case for you if your primary concern is getting a silent system by encapsulating the noise generated from your components.

Kreed

Post by Kreed » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:15 pm

Spackle

Post by Spackle » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:57 am

In stock at NCIX for $100 (not sure about shipping charges).

Epoch

Post by Epoch » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:20 pm

I got one last week after using the original Fractal Define, it seems like a decent option for a quiet case assuming that you actually need the extra ventilation. The front door also seems to do a better job at reducing noise than the Define, either due to design, the material lining it, or a combination of both.

Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:21 pm

how can it be quiet with an open top? is this case really only for liquid people?

Epoch

Post by Epoch » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:38 pm

I am currently using air cooling and its quieter and cooler than my previous Fractal Define. The open top isn't quite an open top, its more of an upper chamber and fans are inside of it.

It isn't a silent PC, but for a gaming PC it is very quiet. Now that I have replaced the fans on my 7950 DirectCU II, I have the same low level of noise at idle and full load. My setup has the top of the PC case above ear level, so if its on the floor the noise profile may be different. Basically, it has some noise dampening properties, it doesn't encapsulate noise but the airflow it offers instead seems to make up for it.

Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:45 pm

do you think it would do well if the fanslots on top were blocked off using standoffs?

Im trying to find the case that dampens the most electrical noise, with less concern for fan noise

Epoch

Post by Epoch » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:49 pm

I am afraid that I do not quite understand your meaning. From my point of view, a standoff raises something that you are mounting, so I am not sure what you would be blocking with a standoff.

I also don't know what you are referring to by electrical noise. If you didn't want the top to be open I am sure that you could fit a block of foam up top. Aside from that, I am not sure what you are asking about. Hard drive noise I understand, fan noise I understand, vibration I understand, but I don't quite know what you are referring to when you mention electrical noise specifically.

Olaf van der Spek

Post by Olaf van der Spek » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:39 pm

I think he means coil whine.

Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:32 am

I believe it may be "coil whine".

I've returned and tried out a few different motherboards, from different brands. The 5 different from gigabyte, asrock, and asus motherboards I've tried (settled with the asus), all ivybridge chipset (gigabytes were b75, asrock was z75 and z77, asus is z77) have a high pitch electrical noise, even with the PSU out of the computer, dangling cables in, with no fans at all.

Epoch

Post by Epoch » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:01 pm

I don't think that there is a case out there that will do a good job hiding coil whine. If you have space you might be better off to get a quiet case and then hide it inside a desk with some ventilation or building a box around it with some baffled air flow.
My Asus 7950 DirectCU II has occasional coil whine if I play a game without vsync that tries to output at many hundreds of frames per second. No case really dulls that noise, you need something to kill the high frequency noise from that. Acoustic foam for room treatments might help with that, but I don't think that 2" thick specialty foam will fit in a case.

The other thing to do after trying to minimize that noise is to make fan noise a bit louder, if you bring up the background noise level it might help mask the coil whine. Either way, this case isn't going to help you very much in that regard.

Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:43 am

i actually put the whole box in my closet, shut the door (i have overclocking components to handle heat). part of the problem with javing awesome hearing is that i can finely distinguish multipe types of simultaneous noise

i can hear electric noise, and fan noise while simultaneously listening to music

PFunk

Post by PFunk » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:54 pm

Anandtech review: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6442/bitf ... -treatment

I took a close look into one at Microcenter yesterday and the above review summed it up pretty well: it feels cheap. It's also stupid to put fan mounts in the top of a quiet-oriented case, unless you're smart about it. I checked out the Antec Solo II and I was impressed with the top-fan mount on there for PSU 120/140mm fans. I can imagine that would keep the thing running cool and efficient.