Any experience with Antec Titan 650 server/workstation case?

Enclosures and acoustic damping to help quiet them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Devonavar

lunadesign

Any experience with Antec Titan 650 server/workstation case?

Post by lunadesign » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:15 am

Does anyone have any experience with the Antec Titan 650 server/workstation case (http://www.antec.com/product.php?id=27&fid=3)? I'm curious how hard it would be to make it reasonably quiet (ie, along the lines of a stock P182) without significant modifications. I'm especially curious if the Titan 650's front door has any noise absorbing material....I can't tell from the photos.

I saw a forum post from 2007 asking nearly the same question (apparently this case has been around for 5+ years?) but the only response I saw noted that the power supply that comes with the Titan 650 isn't very quiet. I'm fine with replacing it with a Seasonic or similar.

NyteOwl

Re: Any experience with Antec Titan 650 server/workstation c

Post by NyteOwl » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:04 pm

I helped a colleague build a server using one of these cases. The 650 has no sound dampening whatsoever. You would have to install absorbtive material to both side panels, the top and the back of the door, and some sort of antivibration for the drive mounts. The included power supply is quite good but is not the quietest in the world. Like most chassis designed to go into a server room or datacentre, sound dampening isn't even on the radar. It is a sturdy and fairly spacious case to work in though.

lunadesign

Re: Any experience with Antec Titan 650 server/workstation c

Post by lunadesign » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:34 pm

Good to know....thanks!

I also just realized that this case only has four 5.25" external drive slots and I need five so that pretty much rules this case out. Doh! Back to the drawing board!